Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Sections onto a Template

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
keaton.edgar
3557 Views, 14 Replies

Cross Sections onto a Template

Hey, I'm sorry for posting for a third time but I'm having serious difficulty. I'm a tough position where I've basically been using Civil for the last three days with no training or experience in an effort to create some Cross Sections for an excavation. I have the cross sections to a point where I'm satisfied, however I need to adapt them into a presentable form. Basically I want to put about 42 of these things onto a template similiar to the one below, maybe with a spot to add a company logo. This program is really giving me a time but I'm determined to learn. I've looked this up in as many ways as I possibly can but find myself again turning to you folks for help. Thank you Very much. 

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: keaton.edgar

that border looks familiar..

Dont worry. Scraping your knuckles under the hood will payoff in spades later .

The border needs to be turned into the dwt file the the scale and view port set. civil3d has plan view port profile view port and section view port; pick section; set the scale.

it helps if the dwt scale is set to match the viewport.

output the sections as "production"  and choose the template and if the sheet are in the current file or not. my suggestion is to start with the  option "all in current drawing"

that should be it 

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
keaton.edgar
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thank you so kindly for the reply. Unfortunately I have to defer to my severely limited experience when I tell you that I'm having some difficulty finding the options you have mentioned. I try looking around my hardest but can't seem to put the pieces together. 

Message 4 of 15
cwr-pae

These tutorials should have everything you need.

Tutorial: Creating Section Views

Exercise 2: Creating Section Sheets

Message 5 of 15
Joe-Bouza

I get it. 

Unfortunately im on my phone and it’s it Pretty painful. I’ll try to revisit in the morning 

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
keaton.edgar

Of course, no worries. I look forward to it, thank you again so much!
Message 7 of 15
keaton.edgar

I think my problem is that I don't have a template that matches the annotation scale this cross sections have been created in. I'm using a Metric scale of 1:100. Is there somewhere I can find an appropriate template to display these  Xsecs on or do I need to create one? I'm not sure how to do that. Whenever I create a cross section sheet using the Create Section Sheets tool, they are so blown up and all over it's impossible to see whats going on, not to mention that the cross sections aren't the only  things that appear on the template. My Surfaces and polylines and points and even sample lines appear too! I'll attach a photo. I feel like I must be missing something so small.GRRRR.PNG

Message 8 of 15
igi_pop

@keaton.edgar wrote:

I think my problem is that I don't have a template that matches the annotation scale this cross sections have been created in. I'm using a Metric scale of 1:100. Is there somewhere I can find an appropriate template to display these  Xsecs on or do I need to create one? I'm not sure how to do that. Whenever I create a cross section sheet using the Create Section Sheets tool, they are so blown up and all over it's impossible to see whats going on, not to mention that the cross sections aren't the only  things that appear on the template. My Surfaces and polylines and points and even sample lines appear too! I'll attach a photo. I feel like I must be missing something so small.GRRRR.PNG

Hello!

Create a new template, it can be of your existing one. Select the viewport, in properties panel select if it will be plan, SECTION or profile, and set it's SCALE and ANNO SCALE.

Save.
Use when creating sheets from a drawig, keeping in mind the scale you've set 🙂

When creating sheets, when you point to a template it will detect if you have an appropriate VP, the rest is just consistency. If you want your cross-sections in 1:100, set your VP to that, and the model also before "sheeting" and creating the cross sections.

Also, there is a thing to keep in mind, i know i stugled in the past, and most people still do.

When you start up Acad (or similar), 1:100 scale is listed, but it's NOT what we need when drawing in meters. The equivalent would be 10:1. So, i bustacap in the template, created a new one, and named them scales according to drawing in meters.

Cheers,

Igor

Lenovo ThinkCenter M920f; Win10pro x64; i5 9500 @3GHz; 16GB RAM; Radeon RX550X
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."

AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified ProfessionalAutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Message 9 of 15
keaton.edgar

Im still having a hell of a time, Im talking like two days at least stuck at this part. Im simply trying to move some cross sections over to a template. I would like to put it on ISO A4 paper in a 297x210 format. I'd like to add a section for a logo and a color legend as well. How is this so difficult? I feel like Im in a car with 57 steering wheels. I just want these **** sections to look nice and presentable to my boss. I'd like two to three sections to appear per page as I have been requested. Im so lost gentleman, I feel like Im trying my hardest here.

Message 10 of 15
igi_pop

Hey man!

See you're struggling so i made a series of shots and will try to help you.

First of all, i gotta tell you i almost never use this kind of placement. I have a Template i created, and set everything manualy. I've always found it tedious enough setting sheets up, so the effort of manualy placing sections seems ok to me. I don't do roads, mainly geotechnics, so manual is the way for me.

With that being said....

1. your template - you have to set it up as if you're all done and you're about to plot.

2. keep the measurements in mind - 1:100 on a A4 seems weird to me cause i often have 100m+ swats. On an A4 sheet, keeping edge offsets in mind, you can have 3 secions that are no bigger than maybe 7/7 in offset an 7m in elevation. And that depends on you added data - bands, vertical axes, band title boxes and so on..

In the next post, i will post a series of screens with captions, after you examine these, feel free to ask again on whatever point troubles you.

Cheers man,

Igor

Message 11 of 15
igi_pop

VP setupVP setupVP set for plotVP set for plot
Sample lines on planSample lines on plan
ANNO scale in the modelANNO scale in the modelThink about paper size, scale and how much you can firThink about paper size, scale and how much you can firLike with swat, like with elevation..calculate what fitsLike with swat, like with elevation..calculate what fitsSelect a templateSelect a templateWhen you browse and select your template it will recognize if a layout firsWhen you browse and select your template it will recognize if a layout firsset the section swat, regardless of the sample swatset the section swat, regardless of the sample swatelevation that fits, try a few timeselevation that fits, try a few timesresult in modelresult in modelresult in layoutresult in layout

There..

Cheers,

Igor

Message 12 of 15
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: igi_pop

Well Done @igi_pop !

@keaton.edgar thats the process. 

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 13 of 15
igi_pop

Thanks Joe!
Apreciate it

Message 14 of 15
keaton.edgar
in reply to: igi_pop

Thank you very much for the help. Just out of curiosity,  which paper format and scale would you use when dealing with 100m+ swaths?

Message 15 of 15
igi_pop

@keaton.edgar wrote:

Thank you very much for the help. Just out of curiosity,  which paper format and scale would you use when

dealing with 100m+ swaths?

Hey!

No problems, that's why we're all here - to give and recieve 🙂 Glad you found it useful!

Well, unless otherwise insisted, we usualy do disto scales. And we almost never abide to the standard paper measurements. I've made a template with a block for paper, printing. It sizes incrementaly for easy formating to A4, and basicaly adjust the paper size to the works, and the scale.

For instance, i did a model/project for a repair and volume increase, some stabilisation, of a water accumulation. The designer insisted we do a 1/1 scale, maybe 1:200 or something.  So, i had sheets that were A4 in height, but 1-1.6 meters in width.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report