Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating surfaces from 3d polylines

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
981 Views, 6 Replies

Creating surfaces from 3d polylines

Hello everyone,

I have two polylines as a section.I have to do cut and fill account. But there isn't any point in folder so I want to do it by creating surfaces.İs it possible or is there any easy way for calculating the cut and fill area for each section.Smiley Wink

Im added the file maybe someones wants to take a look it might be helpfull for understanding.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
igi_pop
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have two polylines as a section.I have to do cut and fill account. But there isn't any point in folder so I want to do it by creating surfaces.İs it possible or is there any easy way for calculating the cut and fill area for each section.Smiley Wink

Im added the file maybe someones wants to take a look it might be helpfull for understanding.

You can create surfaces, or you could stick to basic ACAD objects and hatch the areas of interest, recreate bounds or something like that. But hatch would do.

Next, you'd do (section1 area + section 2 area)/2 times the distance between them, same logic till the end, and you'll get your volume 😉

Surfaces is easy enough tho, and the result is somewhat more precise, depending on the area (linear or broadening).

cheers

Lenovo ThinkCenter M920f; Win10pro x64; i5 9500 @3GHz; 16GB RAM; Radeon RX550X
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."

AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified ProfessionalAutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Message 3 of 7
Joe-Bouza

? "A" section , as in one section cannot define a volume. You need two separated by a distance.

So if you have more then one and they are reasonably contiguous to reality, yes add them to a surface and compare

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: igi_pop

Hello againg I created 2 surfaces and compared them each other using volume dashboard but fill and cut area  = 0 

how can I fix it.

thanks for your helps 🙂

Message 5 of 7
Joe-Bouza

screen shot of both surfaces and one of the dashboard. If you got zero you either compared it to itself or the two surfaces do not overlap

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
CyrusLSteele

Looking at your file, it appears your elevations are nearly the same on both sections, 8.82## for every point on both lines of the section. I suspect the volume is so tiny, I'm not sure if It is would be adequately calculated, as rounding errors might eliminate it. (ie: 0.000005456468456 cubic feet)

You could try using the Create Points from polylines command to make points and create surfaces from them, but if it is a rounding error, you will still get 0.

If you absolutely need a volume of such small amounts, I would suggest converting your coordinates (which you get from the points from polylines command) to a smaller base unit, so instead of trying to calculate in cubic feet, and getting a value that is insignificant to that base unit, you would be calculating in millifeet and getting an answer that Civil recognizes as a significant value.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hello,

Overlaping area of surfaces is 2.44 Sq.Ft. In Edit Drawing Settings increase Precision Value to show more decimal places or change Volume Unit to "cubic foot" (by default there is "cubic yard").

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report