Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Surface from Point Cloud Error

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
1087 Views, 15 Replies

Creating Surface from Point Cloud Error

I am trying to create a surface from a point cloud. I have done this a hundred times in Civil 3d 2018 and never had a problem. Now, in civil 3d 2020, I create the surface and it comes out a jumbled mess. There are many points missing and shear walls somehow appear. I've tried everything I can think of, but the only thing that has changed is that I switched from 2018 to 2020. Is this some sort of bug? Am I doing something wrong? Please help.

ThanksAnnotation 2020-05-04 155435.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Take a look at your surface statistics and check the lowest elevation. (Surface Properties, Statistics tab)

Is that low elevation 0.00? If so, go to the Definition tab, in the upper box, under Build, set Exclude elevations less than to Yes. Set Elevation < to a number above 0, something closer to your actual elevations.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 16
Grover_Puma

perhaps it is a command that activates and deactivates the level of detail of contour lines that command is LEVELOFDETAIL to activate and LEVELOFDETAILOFF to turn it off.

ACEPTA LA SOLUCION que responde a tu pregunta, esto ayudará a otros a encontrar respuestas de una manera mas sencilla.
Si te gusta esta publicación, dale ME GUSTA.

Saludos!
Message 4 of 16
ChicagoLooper

I agree witj @tcorey , it’s good advice. 

Are you bringing in your points from recap? If you are, then take a moment to review the Imported rcp, don’t be too quick and go straight to creating your surface. Using the View Cube, switch to Front View. Zoom in and you’ll see varying elevations of points. From here you’ll also be able to see if any points are too low or too high. The points are generally bunched up and within a certain ‘elevation range.’ I bet you have a good feel of what that range should be just by looking at the points. 

Chicagolooper
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

My minimum elevation is 727' which seems right. My process includes taking a LAS file and weeding down the points in Cloud Compare (open source software) and then converting it to an RCP in ReCap. Every time I convert this point cloud to a surface it seems to remove way more points than intended, plus the surface never looks the same each time I create a surface from the same point cloud.

Again, I never had this problem until I switched from 2018 to 2020 version.

Message 6 of 16
TerryDotson

Try going straight from your weeded LAS file to a Civil3D TinSurface using this freeware from the Autodesk AppStore ?

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: TerryDotson

I downloaded the add-on and tried to get my weeded LAS file to import and got this errorlidartin error.jpg

Message 8 of 16
TerryDotson

(Revised) I just checked and it determines the size based on the LAS file bounds.  Any possibility of posting the LAS file (ZIP it first)?  You can go straight to the Create Surface tool, then zoom extents.  Feel free to email dotson (at) dotsoft (dot) com.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

I tried to email you but it wouldn't send. Here is a link to the LAS file: https://barkerlemar1-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/agehrts_barkerlemar_com/EpStJZpJ6_xBrOFIvbpDk5...

Message 10 of 16
TerryDotson

Thanks for sharing the download (our email limit is 20mb). This will allow everyone trying to help (each in different ways) to be able to provide much more intelligent answers

One important point, looks like CloudCompare created a LAS file with an invalid bounding box in the header!  That's what caused the error in our freeware and I verified it with LASINFO (see attached).

I'll be back in touch in about 12 hours (it's 7pm here).

Message 11 of 16
Pointdump

Adam,
Thanks for posting your data.
A couple of observations. Your "V2" LAS has no projection information and contains more than just Ground (2) Points. I would use >>>LAStools<<< to keep just the Ground Points, and then in ReCap decimate some points. Using all points makes such a heavy surface that Civil 3D slows to a crawl.

Decimation_1.png

Decimation_2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 12 of 16
ChicagoLooper

I agree with @Pointdump your point cloud doesn't have a projection. It could be anywhere, Florida, Iowa, Ecuador, Australia, Antarctica, well maybe not Antarctica, but who knows?

Here's the rcp in C3D.

1-point cloud (modspcace).PNG

I then proceeded to create a surface. Of course, I had to let it run overnight.

2-surface(screenshot).PNG

Chicagolooper
Message 13 of 16
TerryDotson

So as I mentioned, the LAS file CloudCompare created has a bad header and (like most tools) our freeware depends on a valid header.  Consider contacting them about it.  Try the attached tiny LAZ file which is your weeded LAS file corrected (and compressed).  It took less than one second to create the TinSurface on my 5yr old (but still very capable) machine.

capture.png

Message 14 of 16
TerryDotson
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump wrote:

I would use >>>LAStools<<< to keep just the Ground Points ...

Be aware that LasGround is not part of the freeware and needs to be purchased for commercial use.  Use of the unlicensed version can introduce undesirable results including data loss in the files produced and white noise.  See the 14th paragraph of the read-me file.

http://lastools.org/download/lasground_README.txt

Message 15 of 16
Pointdump

Terry,
Thanks for the heads up. To be honest I didn't read that far. Martin is kinda long-winded, and my eyes glaze over after a couple of paragraphs of his ReadMe's.
LASGround seems to group Ground (2) Classification and Last Returns, but all the rest of the points are grouped under "Unclassified". I usually use LAS2LAS to "keep" only those Ground Points. Now I'll have to put on a pot of coffee and try to stay awake through that ReadMe.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 16 of 16
lim.wendy

I enjoy reading all the workflows in this post, very good tips @Pointdump , @TerryDotson@ChicagoLooper!

@Anonymous, did any of the suggestions help? Let us know 😉

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report