Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Surface and Existing Ground Profile Workflow?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
984 Views, 2 Replies

Creating Surface and Existing Ground Profile Workflow?

Hi guys,

I'm new in C3D, and been figuring out all kinds of things on my own. My company havent done any C3D trainings for us.

I've figured out mostly how to do horizontal alignment, and other horizontal alignment work, and my supervisor gave me a new task of creating an existing ground profile as a basis for our vertical alignment designs.

However, I only have a few files that I've gathered from way back 2011 from the survey company who did the surveys and topos for the project.

I have generated a profile from a .tin file I found, but I have few more files that I dont know how to incorporate to the surface to give me an exact profile. 

My alignment runs over roads and some flat surfaces, but the .tin generated profile doesnt give me that surface. I have found a dwg file that includes points for the surface, but I dont know how to get all those points reflect on my profile. I went to the tutorial, and went on with it, but honesty, I dont know what kinds of files I have so Im not sure how to apply all the tutorial lessons I did.

Can you guys help me sort out what to do with these files I have? or do I need other files that I would need to give me an accurate profile required for my work?

File #1 :    A new alignment I did based on a new job order to re-design the old approved alignment

File #2 :    a dwg containing the points for the area of the project. (A sample area since the file is over 25mb)

File #3 :    A generated surface profile using a .tin file I found. On the profile I overlaid an old vertical alignment profile to see if it matches the areas

where I didnt change the old alignment. for example, 0+000-0+312.819 should be the same with the old profile since I didnt change the

alignment. Im also including the old alignment for reference. (OLD ALIGNMENT IS IN YELLOW)

I appreciate all the advices and help. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

anyone?

Message 3 of 3
rl_jackson
in reply to: Anonymous

I opened your points drawing, because that's were your going to need to start with regarding to the existing conditions survey. If you still have relations with the surveyor, I would recommend getting an text file (ascii file in comma delimited PNEZD format) of the points so that it can be imported in to C3D, the points currently in the drawing are blocks which leads me to believe it was done in Carlson and not Land Desktop or C3D. The data is still useful but it would be easier to deal with if you had the surveyor's original point file to import. Also based on the data you have in the drawing it looks as though someone has created multiple copies of the points in the drawing, which is all the more reason to get a clean file from the surveyor.

Once you have this you'll be able to import the data and start creating the breaklines and other information based on the topo, unless the survey provided a drawing with the data. If you don't have a drawing from the surveyor its going to take some time you have a little over a half mile of data that going to require deciphering to determine what all the codes are, and draw all the information to create your existing conditions drawing.

If you could post a list of files that you do have I'm sure myself or someone else could push you in the right direction. I would definetely look for a file that is either a *.txt, *.csv or *.asc....

Edit:

What units are you working in, the contours show up as meters, and the drawing is in International feet so you really need to fix that part first.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report