Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Surface

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
climMKY8F
827 Views, 9 Replies

Creating a Surface

Hello!

I am trying to create a C3D surface by going to Drawing Objects then selecting either "Points" or "Blocks" from the drop down menu but noticed that the command keeps saying that "0 Objects Have Been Found" and no surface was created for my C3D file. The points that I have all elevations and are COGO Points.

Is anyone able to help me resolve this issue?

Labels (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
v-silvestre
in reply to: climMKY8F

Hi @climMKY8F, one thing to note is that there are Autocad points and Civil 3d cogo points.  From what you mentioned, it sounds like you're trying to select cogo points, but the command you are using is asking for Autocad points/blocks.  

vsilvestre_0-1698358728364.png

Since you're trying to add cogo points to your surface, you'll have to add those to your surface by using Point Groups.  If those are the only points in the drawing, you can select the option to use the "All Points" group 

vsilvestre_1-1698358870689.png

If there are other cogo points that are not to be used in the surface, you'll have to create a specific point group that's to be used as your surface.  Hope this helps, but feel free to post questions.

Message 3 of 10
climMKY8F
in reply to: v-silvestre

The previous drafter always did it the way I mentioned Drawing Objects > Blocks (see screenshot) and I have done it that way as well and it worked but for this file, it doesn't seem to work.

climMKY8F_0-1698360364656.png

There are other COGO points on this file - how do I create specific points so that only the COGO points that I want can be created into the surface?

Message 4 of 10
v-silvestre

Interesting.  When you used the command before were the objects you selected actual cogo points?  I'm not 100% sure, but I think that method could also be used for Softdesk points/blocks.  Any chance you can upload the drawing?

Message 5 of 10
Jeew-m

The best thing you can do is to upload a sample drawing here. Then we can have more insight to the issue.

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 10
climMKY8F
in reply to: Jeew-m

Hi @Jeew-m @v-silvestre 

Attached is the C3D file that I would need help in creating the surface.

Thank you!

Message 7 of 10
Pointdump

Hi Calyn,
Thanks for posting your drawing.
As @v-silvestre says, you'll add those COGO points to your surface definition.
Dave

Add_1.png

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 10
v-silvestre

Thanks for uploading.  First you'll need to create a Point Group, in Prospector > Point Groups > right-click > New Point Group

vsilvestre_0-1698419431337.png

Next, depending on your point data, you have different options in which points are selected.  One way is to go to the Include tab, check "With numbers matching", then select Selection Set in Drawing.  From here just manually select which points to add:

vsilvestre_1-1698419685556.png

Once you're point group is created and populated, you can now use that for your Surface.  Create a new surface then expand out Definitions > Point Group > Add :

vsilvestre_2-1698419881789.png

Rebuild the Surface, then that's it:

vsilvestre_3-1698419967308.png

Message 9 of 10
climMKY8F
in reply to: v-silvestre

Thank you for showing the step-by-step; I definitely need that since I am a visual learner!
Thank you again!!!!
Message 10 of 10
climMKY8F

Thank you everyone for your help - I really appreciate all of the replies!
You all are so great!!!! 😀

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report