Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREATING A LAYER LIST

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
ESchomberg
1071 Views, 7 Replies

CREATING A LAYER LIST

HEY GUYS, I am setting up a template with all of the styles that my client uses. So far I have been successful with all the annotations, dimentions, leaders and so on. I am now trying to delete all of the layers that come standard with civil3d so that I can replace them with the layer names and styles that he uses. It will not let me delete these layers for some reason. I can add his layers to the long list that comes standard with civil3d but it will take so much time to scroll up and down to find his layers. Is there a way to delete the layers that come with civil3d and create your own list of layers?? That is where I am stuck.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Jay_B
in reply to: ESchomberg

Yes the reason they can't be deleted is because they are considered "in use" by Civil 3d.

Used in a style, set as an Object Layer, used within a block etc.

Before trying this, make a backup copy of your drawing / template.

They can be deleted forcefully using the Command: LAYDEL

Please be aware this will cause some issues with blank layer names in styles.

After using LAYDEL run an AUDIT on the file and the blank names will be replaced by zero layer within styles which used some of the unwanted layer names.

LAYDEL is a great command but should be used with bit of caution.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 8
rl_jackson

Use layer merge and push unwanted layers to 0

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
rl_jackson

Oops. After running audit the drawing for errors omissions

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8
ESchomberg

Hmmmm....this sounds a bit complicated..,would you say that it would be easier to just add his layers to the list and keep the standard acad layers????
Message 6 of 8
Jay_B

That's up to you.

It's really not complicated, either the LAYDEL, or the LAYMRG as @rl_jackson mentioned, will work and both are easy commands.

As far as Running an AUDIT, simply enter AUDIT at the command line and follow the prompts, answering "yes" to the following prompt:

Fix any errors detected? [Yes/No] <N>: y

As a side note, an AUDIT should be ran periodically on your day to day project files to keep them clean.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 8
ESchomberg

Oh...thank you guys.... I always keep an extra blank CAD template saved.....so if I try this and it does not work...no loss.... You guys are awesome... I will give it a go.
Message 8 of 8
ESchomberg

Thanks guys...Worked like a charm...easy and painless

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report