Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create DEM from XREF

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1293 Views, 6 Replies

Create DEM from XREF

Hello All,

I was tasked with creating a DEM for the purpose of creating a profile for a job we are working on. The contour lines I am working with are in the form of an XREF. Is it possible to create a DEM from an XREF? I have scoured the forum, etc. and am pretty sure I need to create a surface first, then export as a DEM; however, I am not able to create a surface.

Any help would be appreciated as I am self-taught. I have had no formal training on AutoCAD software. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

Deborah,

Best to see what you've got. Please post your drawings. This Forum will accept files up to 75 MB.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 7
Hidden_Brain

You can open that XREF directly (read only if you want to prevent accidental changes to it), and then copy all contour lines by 0,0,0 over to your working drawing.

One other thing, if you click select the XREF contour lines and check its properties (command CH), what does it list as?
Message 4 of 7
antoniovinci

deborah4R5CG wrote:
I have had no formal training on AutoCAD software

Please press the F1 key, and read all about the BIND option of the XREF command, sir.

Message 5 of 7
Hidden_Brain
in reply to: antoniovinci

That will work as well, although, it is my understanding that in addition to the contours, xref bind will bring in everything else from the other drawing into the current drawing.
Message 6 of 7
AllenJessup

To directly answer your question. No. You cannot create a Surface from an Xref. What kind of entities are the contours in the Xref? Are they polylines or an actual surface?

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: antoniovinci

I was able to bind the xref, then explode the block to have each polyline separate from each other. I shouldn't have a problem creating a DEM from here. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report