Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREATE BLOCK ATTRIBUTE TO MIMIC SPOT ELEVATION LABEL

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1618 Views, 10 Replies

CREATE BLOCK ATTRIBUTE TO MIMIC SPOT ELEVATION LABEL

Hello,

I'm looking to create a block attribute that will exactly mimic the behaviour of a spot elevation label.

Reason for this is I design a lot of grading plans via Civil 3D where I do not really prepare/use surfaces for. They are usually too quick and simple. Another reason is that creating surfaces and using spot elevations slows down large drawings.

So my interim solution is to create an arbitrary surface to add spot elevation labels and then manually "edit text label" for each one to put in a spot elevation that I want. The reason I like civil 3d elevation labels is that they are very dymanic and annotative and automatically sync/scale/update when my drawing/layout scales vary.

Is there anyway I can create a simple block with attribute that I can edit its content/value quickly via properties instead of having to manually create and edit every single spot elevation label (while maintaining civil 3d spot elev annotative behaviour)?

Thanks a lot!

Amr

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
KirkWM
in reply to: Anonymous

Few thoughts:

• Try using General Notes type instead as you wouldn't need a dummy surface and the labels would have similar dynamic behavior
  • Another option is to use cogo points and property set data, as you can use the PSD in the point label style, and you could easily update the field in the properties panel and the point label would update 
    KirkWM_0-1630084751085.png

KirkWM_1-1630084826833.png
  • Another option is to and a shortcut for editing label text, I edited my CUI so that ctrl+e is a quicker way to edit labels.
  • Perhaps design with feature lines instead and use the "line and curve" labels types to display the elevations
  • Explore best management practices when it comes to surface data as this is pretty essential in most grading situations
  • You could make an autocad block that is annotative and then add the cannoscales you are using in model space and that could work as well

Hope this is useful food for thought.

Message 3 of 11
user181

You could use cogo points. They can be edited from the properties palette and will scale with the annotative scale of the drawing and if you did need to make a surface you could create it from the cogo points. You would probable need to set up point styles to get them to look the way you want. 

If you don't know how to create them there are videos available such as this one

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
Neilw_05

Seems to me a multileader would do everything a block would and more. Why not?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 5 of 11
Joe-Bouza

Too much of a hurry to do it quickly. I know that. Too simple and quick but slow down large drawings. I know that one too. I also know Here is my quick and simple grading...now I need it balanced and the Quantities. I also heard here is my large drawing that I revised the quick and simple grading - help me update my blocks with attributes.

This is not my arrogance speaking this is my real experiences speaking.

mimic = look like? should be simple and quick to make

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
jefflambert9091
in reply to: user181

I like the cogo point option. We use these for simple house plot plans where you really don't need a surface. BUT if you need to raise/lower you have some editing power rather than retyping every block/text. 

Jeff
Civil 3D 2024
Message 7 of 11
rl_jackson

Sometimes its smarter thinking ahead with the WHAT IF'S! It could save valuable time later, that might not have been anticipated at the time of bid.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
AllenJessup

Crate the Attribute by setting a Field as the Default. The Field category should be Objects and the Field name Object. Select the object you want to use as your marker and set it to use the Z of that object.

AllenJessup_0-1630411593060.png

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
ChrisRS
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

"There is never enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it over."

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
ChrisRS
in reply to: KirkWM

There are a lot of great ideas in this post. I warrants being read twice to catch there all. 

@KirkWM wrote:
  • Another option is to and a shortcut for editing label text, I edited my CUI so that ctrl+e is a quicker way to edit labels.

You can also assign a "Edit Label Text" as a "Double Click Action" for "AECC_SURFCE_ELEVATION _LABEL"
(Select the object, then double click. Kind of a triple click. Still faster than Right Click Edit Label Test>.)

ChrisRS_0-1630434075440.png

The technique is described at this link: Double Click Your Way To New Heights In Your Grading 

BONUS - This Post: Double Click Actions in Civil 3D, suggests Double Click actions for other C3D objects.   

Entity (double click)Re-action
Feature LineQuick Elevation Edit
CorridorCorridor Properties
Profile ViewProfile View Properties
GradingGrading Editor
General Note LabelEdit Label Text
PipesEdit Pipe Properties
Structures*Edit Structure Properties
TIN SurfaceEdit Surface Properties

* – When double clicking a structure in a profile view, the command line will ask you to select an object, just hit ESC and the structure properties dialog will appear.

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
ChrisRS

An old, old joke:
Patient: Doctor, I hurts when I do "this."
Doctor: Then don't do "that!"

ba-dum-DUM

An old joke:
"Doctor, my leg hurts. What can I do?” The doctor says, “Limp!”

(Henny Youngman")

Not having a screenshot, or sample drawing makes it difficult to fully understand want you want this to look like,

There has been some good discussion here. I enjoy that and feel that it is beneficial for the community.

I will share some thoughts and possible tips. Be forewarned that I will then join the chorus and tell you why I think that it best that you "Don't do that."

@Anonymous wrote: I'm looking to create a block attribute that will exactly mimic the behaviour of a spot elevation label.

It depends on your definition of 'mimic.' 

1. Civil 3D Point objects, as pointed out by others, have very similar behaviors. 
    1. You will have to re-create any Spot Elevation styles that you need at Point styles. This is time consuming if you need a lot of styles.) 
    2. 'Smart'
  2. Annotative Mleaders are a possibility, but have some shortcomings.
    1. Does not include a marker. Requires a second object.
    2. Can not orient to 'view.'
    3. 'Dumb'
  3. Dynamic Block
    1. Attribute of Elevation Test
    2. Markers could be emulated with visibility states.
    3. Polar stretch for dragged state
    4. Rotation required for Elevation Txt
    5. No automatic 'view' alignment
    6. I have created a lot of complicated dynamic blocks, but would not touch this one with a 10 foot pole.
    7. 'Dumb'

It may be possible to come up with a annotative block/attribute or do what you want , but I do not think it possible to fully mimic the Spot Elevation behavior. I do not see any relatively simple solution. Nor do I see any complicated complete solution.

Your current approach is unconventional, but clever. It appears that the process is tedious and causes performance issues.

1. Process simplification.
    1. A file, 'Manual Spot Elevation Source.dwg'  is attached.
      Also attached: 'Manual Spot Elevation test.dwg' shows it in use.
    2. Insert this file and explode if necessary. Copy and Paste (NOT Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V) where ever they are needed. This does not need to be within the suggested small surface. Edit the label text.
    3. Label text editing can be streamlined. See posts 2 (Shortcut) and 10 (Double Click)
  2. Performance. It seems that C3D is limping along, rather then running briskly. Liniment and physical therapy may be preferable to amputation. 
    1. Work on spot elevations in separate drawing, with the other drawings xreffed in.
    2. Divide and conquer. Clip xrefs and work one area at a time. You may need multiple spot elevation files.
    3. The small surface suggested in 1a above, might help. 

---------------------------------

Now, on to "Don't do that."

You will be putting a lot of work in on these sort of projects. I hate to see C3D needlessly dumbed down when it is is not necessary. This is not so much wrong, as it is a missed opportunity. My thought follow. There will certainly be differing opinions. 

1. Smart is better than Dumb
    1. Civil3D objects are smart.
    2. C3D Spot elevation become dumb when you override the elevation value. 
    3. C3D Points are smart. The xyz information that you assign is available for C3D to use.
    4. Attributes and Mleader are not as smart as C3D objects. You may be able make use of the elevation text, but is not a trivial process.
  2. Minimizing effort is good. (Least to most effort - my opinion - YMMMV)
    1. Creation of manual C3D points, with elevation. 
    2. Block with attribute. (Does not mimic Spot Elevation)
    3. Creation of C3D spot elevations, with manual edit.
    4. Marker block and Mleader. (Does not fully mimic Spot Elevation)
  3. Design change/Editability.
    1. C3D point can be  moved in the z direction and will reflect the correct elevation.
    2. C3D Spot Elevations, Attributes, and Mleaders must be manually edited individually.
  4. Versatility. 
    1.  Project requirement may change.
      C3D Points can be used to create a surface.
      (A building perimeter feature line, at grade, and your points are enough to create a basic surface. Look at it in object viewer to validate your design.)
    2. C3D Points could be used for layout/staking. 
    3. C3D Spot Elevations, Attributes, and Mleaders look pretty.

My suggestion:

1. Invest some time in creating some Point label styles that mimic your Spot Elevation styles, and just use C3D points. 
  2. Invest some time in creating some Feature Line label styles for vertex labels that mimic your Spot Elevation styles, This adds feature lines to your toolset.
    (Feature lines can have arcs and intermediate elevation points set to straight grade, etc.)

---------------------------

Closing

1. There is a time and place for Spot Elevation text overrides.
  2. I do not claim credit for all of the ideas in this post. I accept blame for any errors.  

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report