Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor Surfaces

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
abonmartian
864 Views, 10 Replies

Corridor Surfaces

When I create regions in my corridor and target the top surface a new layer is created.  I have many layers for the same surface. Is this normal?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
doni49
in reply to: abonmartian

@abonmartian wrote:

When I create regions in my corridor and target the top surface a new layer is created.  I have many layers for the same surface. Is this normal?

First of all, I want to make sure I understand what you're asking about.  When you say "target the top surface", are you meaning that you CREATE the surface from the "TOP" links and points?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 11
abonmartian
in reply to: doni49

Yes, I created a surface for my corridor using the top links. I called it surface "x". When I add baselines then regions, (Intersections), I target surface "x" and the centerline profile. Everything works out fine and the surface works. Although when I went to freeze some layers I noticed I had layers for surface x through surface x(50)
Message 4 of 11
doni49

Ok.  That sounds like you're creating multiple surfaces (still not sure why) and each time you generate a new surface, the name is different from the previous surface.

By default when you create a new surface, a layer will be created and the name of that layer will contain the name of the surface.

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 5 of 11
doni49

@abonmartian wrote:
Yes, I created a surface for my corridor using the top links. I called it surface "x". When I add baselines then regions, (Intersections), I target surface "x" and the centerline profile. Everything works out fine and the surface works. Although when I went to freeze some layers I noticed I had layers for surface x through surface x(50)

Also... You said that you create a surface using the top links called X.  Then you have the corridor Target X.  That doesn't make any sense as that would be a circular reference.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 11
abonmartian

I see! So only target the centerline profile?
Message 7 of 11
doni49

I think we're getting our wires crossed.  When we "Target" something (in corridor speak), the corridor assembly will "look for" that item you're targeting.

When you started, you had a horizontal alignment.  Then you created a profile along the alignment.  Then you created an assembly.  Lastly, you created a corridor which will follow the horizontal alignment and the profile and use the assebly.

You can "Target" an existing surface (to find the daylight line) but not the surface that is generated by the corridor.   If you were to somehow target the surface that the corridor creates, that would be a circular reference.

Maybe post a dwg file and someone can take a look at it for you.  What version of C3D (including SP # if any) are you using?

Don Ireland

Message 8 of 11
abonmartian

Here is what I meant by targeting.  I am using civil 3d 14'

Message 9 of 11
doni49

That's what I thought you meant but as I said, if you somehow target the very surface that is created by this corridor, that would be a circular reference.

It would be sort of like trying to be your own father.

Post your file and we'll help sort it out.

Don Ireland

Message 10 of 11
abonmartian

Not sure if I am allowed to be posting company files on here. Might have to stick with screen shots.
Message 11 of 11
doni49

Make up an example file using the same steps and post that.

You could also modify a copy of your file in such a way that it doesn't really represent any particular site/project. That might satisfy the need to "not post company files".

Don Ireland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report