Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

corridor design

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
572 Views, 5 Replies

corridor design

I post this issue before but I did not get any answers so here it goes again because I am having many projects with this kind of issue when connecting roads are not perpendicular.

I know how to use targeting in order to create the yellow edge of the corridor on left but how do I trim the right side of the connecting road so it stops at the red line?

I usually get overlapping surfaces which I trim later.     

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

Look into Offset Alignments with Offset Profiles.  You can make offset alignment a baseline in your corridor. It’s profile is controlled by crossslope from centerline, so you can run an assembly along this baseline. You can then use regions to let this line merge another alignment. Using this method, centerline and offsets can have different region controls, overcoming the problem of non-square intersections. 

Using this method, you will find it difficult to build accurate corridor surfaces using Link data type. You can make accurate surfaces using Feature Line data type. Use unique point codes. 

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6
Joe-Bouza

I concur with Tim And also wonder why the intersection  can’t be done traditionally with smal return radii?

the wizard is good for helping with those control lines. Personally, I don’t let the wizard build the corridor. I’m much more confident  with my own assemblies and profiles . Then build my own regions and baseline addition. 

The wizard ameliorates the baseline creation somewhat 

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Thanks for replying!

Did you take a look at the pic I posted?

Any tips how I go about making that part of junction?

The main road is already there!

I post the pic again!

Message 5 of 6
Joe-Bouza

Hello @Anonymous  you have to look at the intersection wizard as helping hands and not the be all and end all to intersection design. Prior to the introduction of the intersection wizard the user would create all the baselines, offset targets and profiles. All the wizard does is create those geometries for you. 

When I look at your geometry I see control lines roughly like this:

1. the road on the left is primary and the right is secondary

2. brown lines center line alignment and profiles to lock

3. green lines  width offsets and profiles

4. yellow "return" alignments and profiles 

You can let the wizard create these or create them yourself. I rely on the wizard for one thing; locking the center line alignments and profiles

juntion.png 

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
M_c3d
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I agree with @Joe-Bouza I've done many intersections like this that have worked without any problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report