Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corridor data shortcutted solids not honouring assigned layer

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Buzz0m
981 Views, 9 Replies

Corridor data shortcutted solids not honouring assigned layer

Hi,

I have a dwg, into which I have datashortcutted a corridor and I have also extracted the solids dynamically from it. When i syncronize the corridor in the dwg, the solids are updated BUT they are moved to the current layer?

Can anybody reproduce this behaviour? Seems like a bug to me? Or is there somewhere some setting I'm failing to find?

- F

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: Buzz0m

I can't get it to do what you describe. I even set the Layer Name Template to layer 0 and the objects remain on their previously-assigned layers. Do you have drawings you would like me to test?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 10
Buzz0m
in reply to: tcorey

Hi @tcorey!

Well that's weird! Or maybe the opposite of weird... there's some serious funk going on in my installation then 😃

Which version are you using? I'm running C3D 2018.2.

Here's a screencast of what is happening. I'm using custom subassemblies... I'm not sure how I could share the drawings without transferring a lot of information and files... and since this is a customer project I'm always a bit iffy of sharing the drawings... =/

https://autode.sk/2zm4f3K

Message 4 of 10
Buzz0m

I tried locking the layers before synchronizing the corridor. The layer lock did not stop the program from changing the layer but I also got an error:

"Fail to erase the swapped solid"

which implies that the solids are erased and created/copied again based on the corridor, right? Are there any settings related to "swapping" that need to be tweaked? I couldn't find anything in the toolspace/settings/corridor-directory...

EDIT: the non-bylayer colour of the original objects was honored, but not the layer. Civil created new solids on top of the old ones, so I got double the amount of solids than what I had before...

Message 5 of 10
tcorey

I tested using 2019.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 6 of 10
Buzz0m

I tried

- syncing the same corridor (as I did on the screencast) but with c3d2019

- creating the solids as swept and corridor sampling (also totally recreating the solids)

- I tried doing the sync in plan and 3d view....

-  i ran audit (a few non relevant errors)

- I have no style reference set

All failed... my college tested the dwg and has similar behaviour. Am I correct to assume that this might be a dwg specific problem? Still hoping for pointers when it comes to dwg settings and solid creation... 😃

Message 7 of 10
Joe-Bouza

I can’t even get a corridor DS to reference into a file.

Pardon, I know this is no help to you

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
tcorey

If you post your drawing, someone can take a look. If you would like to send directly to me: tcorey at shasta dot com.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 9 of 10
Buzz0m

I sent @tcorey a private message discussing the transfer of files... I'll get back on that subject later on...

@Joe-Bouza, It's "nice" to hear I'm not alone with my corridor problems! 😃

Message 10 of 10
Buzz0m

With @tcorey 's help I believe my problem was kind of explained and solved even though I think there might be some things that could have been made more user friendly and all in all better in this case...

1. The layer you define when creating the solids (in the extract corridor solids -dialogue ) is forever the layer your solids are going to be placed on.Even if you manually change the layer it will revert to the one you defined in this dialogue.
  2. Each time the solids are synced, they are not synced, they are recreated to some extent (?). Layer locking prevents the syncing of an object and in these cases the tool creates a identical second object etc...
  3. When using a data referenced corridor to create solids, the layer name template doesn't seem to work. I am not a 100% sure about this one, but when fooling around with the layer name template when creating solids I was able to create inconsistent behavior and the layer names were not what I was trying to get them to be... eg. the <[Subassembly Name(CP)]> (this was the default template) code turned out as "subassembly" and not the actual subassembly name. When trying another template the code was only <[Subassembly Name]>... but it still didn't work as expected...
    In the corridor source drawing the dialogue is different and seems to have all the info needed for correct layer creation (the assembly names are actually listed!).

Here are the screenshots of the different dialogues. First the one in the drawing with the datashortcut and then the one in the original or source dwg.

dialogue1.jpg

dialogue_origin.jpgA big thanks to @tcorey!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report