Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying a Profile View instead of Splitting Profile

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
mermerCAD
2201 Views, 6 Replies

Copying a Profile View instead of Splitting Profile

Hi everybody-

I've been splitting my long profiles using the Split Profile View option on the Elevations tab of the Profile View Properties dialog box.  Today I copied the profile view and it copied the profile and view.  No labels but it was easy enough to add the labels to the copy.  Then I changed the stations and elevations of the original profile view to show the first half of the profile, and I changed the stations and elevations of the copied profile view to show the second half of the profile.  The two profiles are still linked.  If I select the profile in one profile view, it is selected in both.  If I revise the profile in one profile view, it revises the second profile view as well.

I took it a step further and created two copies of the original profile view.  I left the original alone and created a first half and second half with the copies.  If I revise the original, the copies update.

This seems so much easier to me than the Split Profile View option which makes me suspicious.  Does anyone know of any problem with this method?  Will my drawing explode in 5 days?  I've closed it and reopened it, and the copies are still there with all of their labels and projected objects.

Anybody have any positive or negative experiences with this method?

Thanks so much!

Meredith

C3D 2014 sp2

Windows 7 64 bit

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: mermerCAD

That is how it is supposed to work. A profile can be displayed in any number of profile views (owned by the same alignment that owns the profile) and can be dynamic in all.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 7
mathewkol

Your newly discovered method will not cause Civil 3D any pain. One thing split profile views can give you are labels that span the split. If you have a vertical curve that spans a split, its label will display properly if your style is set up properly.

Also, you have to manage only 1 set of band styles with split views. With copied views, you will have to perform the same edit multiple times if you want to change the band set.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 4 of 7
mermerCAD

Thanks, Tim and Matt!

Meredith

Message 5 of 7
jmayo-EE

I agree that on a small project this is not much of an issue. This could make a very large project very slow. I would think your performance would slowly decrease as the number of profiles and profile views increases.

I think a better approach would be to make a new profile view for each sheet's station range. This will prevent all of the redundant profiles which will speed all C3D regens/calcs/syncs.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
mermerCAD
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Interesting, John.  I didn't think about the file performance issue.

Thanks!

Meredith

Message 7 of 7
onarvaezo

ok, very good trick...

I used to cliclk on Create multiple profile views... and each of one can change elevations and station

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report