Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting a surface to a 3D solid object

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
knmdk
738 Views, 1 Reply

Converting a surface to a 3D solid object

Hi everyone,

I need 3d solids to create Pressure Network parts using AutoCAD Civil 3D Content Catalog Editor. The parts manufacturer provides 3d CAD files in SAT & IGES file formats (lets use 90° elbow part as example). Once I import SAT or IGES to AutoCAD, I receive a surface object and get stuck. Thinken and Sculpt commands refuse to convert surface to 3d solid ("surface cannot be thickened with specified value, object intersects itself" and "solid creation failed, no watertight volume detected"). As I've found out it's due to surface having imperfections like edge gaps that should be welded or stitched. I've also found out one can use Inventor to stitch surface into solid. However I don't have Inventor but I do have 3ds Max. So is there a way to transform surface objects to 3d solid objects for mentioned parts?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
knmdk
in reply to: knmdk

I ended up installing Inventor to check the manufacturer provided SAT files. Models are fine and do not have any gaps. So used Inventor to convert surfaces to solids using Stitch command (under Surface tab). Then I exported solids to DWG and opened them in AutoCAD. Hope that helps somebody someday.

P.S. Seems like errors mentioned in first post are caused by either AutoCAD release bug or by poor 3d command implementation (which is common for Autodesk nowadays).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report