Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connect points to smooth surface

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
zbaizhik
356 Views, 4 Replies

connect points to smooth surface

Hello Everyone! 

I am trying to make an imperfect (surface is not smooth) 3D shell in Autodesk to import it in Parts in ABAQUS. 

First, I imported my points in Autodesk and connected points to the surface. After that, I extracted the solid from the surface to make it in 3D via thickness. But unfortunately, when I imported this file to Abaqus, my parts looked weird. I am attaching the file on how the 3D shell should look in ABAQUS. 

I guess that my problem is when I connect all points to the surface, Autodesk is not reproducing the smooth surface. It connects every point with each other. 

Can you please help me with it? 

Thank you 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tcorey
in reply to: zbaizhik

I am unclear what you're going for here, but I advise you to look at the _AeccExportSurfaceToSolid command and see if those results will work for you.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 5
ChrisRS

A point file and/or drawing would help.
Is Desk 1.PNG a top view?
This looks like points on a hemisphere. If you are showing points on both the upper and lower surface, C3D will try to connect them. Undercut surfaces are supported.

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
zbaizhik
in reply to: ChrisRS

Yes, you are right. It is a hemisphere. 

How can I connect them to make a smooth surface? 

Thank you

Message 5 of 5
ChrisRS

This is difficult without points or drawing information.

It appears that your hemisphere is tilted.

Consider a globe as a model of the earth. Ignore tilt. The equator splits the globe into the northern and southern hemispheres. If the globe is transparent, and you look down from the top, you will see points on both the northern (top) and southern (Bottom) hemispheres.

That is what C3D is doing. When you create a surface from your points, C3D, working from a top view, creates TIN lines choosing points closest to each other. The distance between the projected points in the XY plane determines "closest." Z does not matter.

A TIN line can be created between points in the upper hemisphere and the lower hemisphere.

That is what you are seeing.

If you can figure out how to select just northern hemisphere points, including those on the equator, C3D can model the upper surface.

You can then select just southern hemisphere points, including those on the equator, and have C3D model the lower.

These surfaces need to be on different sites and cannot be joined.

If you are working with an actual hemisphere, you are probably better off with core AutoCAD 3D objects.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report