Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COGO points from featureline using the starting station option

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
drbohlav
1755 Views, 5 Replies

COGO points from featureline using the starting station option

Hello everyone,

do you have any idea how to create COGO points from featureline using the starting station option?

When I use this option using command below I have still COGO points from 0 station.

To Create Points on an Object Using Distance Intervals
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/civil-3d/downloads/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Civil3D-...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jay_B
in reply to: drbohlav

I'm not sure why the start & end stations options are included in the command.

No matter what is entered for a start and end station, it always results in Points being placed at

the specified interval from beginning to end of the Feature Line.

Unless I'm missing something, none of the valid objects listed for use with Command:_AeccCreatePointMeasureObject Select an arc, line, polyline, lot line, or feature line:

can even contain a "station value".

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 6
drbohlav
in reply to: Jay_B

Hello Jay_B,
thank you for your answer.
In my opinion there is "station value" for feature line so I expected there won't be problem with the command.
Does anyone else here have another solution?
I only figure out one poor solution. I had to cut of the length of my desired start station from feature line and the command worked for me well.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 6
C3D_TomR

Your workaround sounds like a good option: Break the feature line at the point where you want the "stationing" to begin then join it back to the original feature line and remove the PI if necessary once you've added the points along the feature line.

I tested the workflow you described and got the same result you did: The start and end station selection points were ignored and the points were placed along the full length of the object. This could be a command that's working "as designed" but asking for a start and end point (station) implies that the points should be placed between the two selected points.

Tom Richardson

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature
Autodesk Certified Professional in Civil 3D for Infrastructure Design
AutoCAD Certified Professional
------------------------------------
Autodesk AEC Community Blog
Crossing the line with Civil 3D
Twitter | LinkedIn
------------------------------------
Austin CAD User Group Resources
Blog | Discord | LinkedIn

Autodesk Group Network Leader

Message 5 of 6
IanRobinsonUK

It appears to use the start and end station to work out the length oddly enough, and relies on you knowing.

If you have a 100m line and put in the values:

Start 20

End 80

Offset 0 (or whatever)

Interval 10

You get 6 points for the first 60m.

In fact if you say start at 20, the offered default end station is 120 so it's not reading the line length at all.

With the Measure Command (AutoCAD) you could put in the segment length only and it started at the first segment end (i.e. the first point appeared at 20m, not at the start)

So my thought, for what it's worth, is that the command is doing what it's designed to do, but not how we would like it to do.

A more pressing question for me is, why haven't I noticed this before? Is it a change from previous release or has it always been this way? I use the command a lot, but usually want a point at the start so have not noticed (I think).

Message 6 of 6
izzybabur
in reply to: IanRobinsonUK

I'm having the same issue. Has there been any other work around for this? 

Actually, the ending station is adhered to when I try it Civil 3D 2020. For example, I want to put in the first 3 points spaced at 20 meters, then the next 7 points spaced at 30 meters. So if I run the create points by measure object, I select the starting station as the default start station and ending station slightly larger than 40 meters (if I have it exactly on 40 meters, it seems the last point doesn't get added). So if I do that, then the first 3 points come in great. But the next 7 points start at the default start station and not the value that I enter (let's say 40). 

There's got to be another way to do it... I don't want to do it manually, as I need the true distance along the feature line and not the projected distance (i.e. if I was to offset lines at 20 meter and 30 meter intervals, those would be offset on a projected plane, and that error would cumulatively propagate and would be off by about 0.5 meters at the end of the feature line). 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report