Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3D Setup for Revit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
skyeg321
367 Views, 4 Replies

Civil3D Setup for Revit

Hi everyone! I come here from the Revit Architecture camp. Can anyone tell me the steps to properly setup a civil3D file so that the exported .dwg can be linked in Revit and the real world location will be perfect? In Revit we 'Aquire Coordinates' from survey .dwg files we receive. This aligns our survey coordinate system to that of the survey. I have tried this on 5 or so projects and sometimes Revit knows exactly where it is in the world and sometimes it doesn't and we need to manually enter the city.  I am trying to give some guidance to the surveyors we work with so we can streamline this process. Thank you!

Labels (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rl_jackson
in reply to: skyeg321

I believe your looking for Shared Reference Point Extension which can be found in the Toolbox on the toolspace.

SharedScreenshot.jpg

https://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-7844D124-451A-46AD-B9DF-E1DFC8A2DAF2

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
rl_jackson

I believe your looking for Shared Reference Point Extension which can be found in the Toolbox on the toolspace.

SharedScreenshot.jpg

https://help.autodesk.com/view/CIV3D/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-7844D124-451A-46AD-B9DF-E1DFC8A2DAF2

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5
paulo_santoso

Seting up the Shared Coordinate tool

In Revit:

1. Export a polygon that defines the boundaries or area of your project.

2. File > Export > CAD Formats > DWG

In Civil 3D:

1. Toolspace > Settings > Right Click on Project Title > Edit Drawing Settings, then set the Coordinates Systempaulo_santoso_0-1717903458602.png

2. Insert> Insert > Recent Blocks

paulo_santoso_7-1717905050431.png

3. Select your DWG file reference to import and position it using an online map with Geolocation Ribbon.

paulo_santoso_8-1717905124922.png

4. Toolspace > Toolbox > Subscription Extension Manager > Autodesk Shared Reference Point > Export Shared Reference Points for Autodesk Revit.

paulo_santoso_1-1717903537721.png

5. Select the initial base point and then select a second point at the same elevation. When selecting both points, keep in mind that they will need to be selected in Revit as well.

paulo_santoso_2-1717903676352.png

4. Select units (it defaults to Meters every time).

5. Save the  XML file.

paulo_santoso_3-1717903759018.png

In Revit:

1. Install Autodesk Shared Reference Point extension for Civil 3D or Revit

2. Open a new model

3. Add-Ins > Import Shared Coordinates from XML file.

4. Select the same points at the same order that were selected in Civil 3D. 

5. Select the XML file created from Civil 3D.

Nothing will appears at the screen except a pop up confirming that a new shared coordinate system will be created.

6. Manage > Location

paulo_santoso_4-1717904212451.png

7. Site Tab >  Select MySharedRefPnt shared coordinate system.

paulo_santoso_5-1717904306608.png

Now when you import or link a CAD file,  this aligns with your coordinate system

If it helps you, please don't forget to mark this reply as an ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Paulo Santos | BIM Expert | LinkedIn | Contatos |
Message 5 of 5
MikeEvansUK
in reply to: paulo_santoso

These are all great if you are setting up Revit for use with Civil3d however, there are problems going IFC or Dwg to revit.

Revit cannot handle large coordinates, IFC's created are positioned at 0,0,0 and correct to the system. When imported this causes dodgy geometry which flickers in revit when zooming and doesn't coordinate well.

The simple way to coordinate between civil3d and revit is to add a solid cube located at a known location (E/N or Grid intersection) with the bottom face at a known elevation.

Using the cube ensures that wherever Revit believes the file is it can always be checked and aligned correctly.

This also helps with Families as they do not have a coordinate system.

Surface models as exported Triangles (Regions) in 3d DWG format can be imported and annotated (if you and all team members have A360 you can use a topographiy object). Drainage a IFC can be exported, repositioned to be closer to zero in Revit the aligned and correctly coordinated with.

Mike Evans

Civil3D 2022 English
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz With 32768MB RAM, AMD FirePro V4900, Dedicated Memory: 984 MB, Shared Memory: 814 MB

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report