Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3d Fatal Error When OpeningExported Files

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
cyleTJL8D
625 Views, 10 Replies

Civil3d Fatal Error When OpeningExported Files

Civil 3D 2023 will crash everytime I open a file that has been created outside of our office. Also, files that I export myself using the Export Civil3D Drawing Tool cannot be opened. Each time, Civil3D will close giving a Fatal Error message. I am usually then able to open the exact same drawing without any issues. I have used all recommendations from the Troubleshooting Guide, but have not been able to fix the issue. Please let me know if this is common, or if there is a known resolution.

Thank you in advance.

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tcorey
in reply to: cyleTJL8D

Open using _RecoverAll command.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 11
cyleTJL8D
in reply to: tcorey

Thank you for your response. This does work, but then the problem will persist with the next exported file that I try to open. I am looking for a more permanent solution.

Message 4 of 11
rl_jackson

Try typing the EXPORTC3DDRAWING command at the command line. See if that works any better

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
cyleTJL8D
in reply to: rl_jackson

I have tried this as well and it did not help. Also, the drawings that I receive from outside our office still cannot be opened on the first try.

Message 6 of 11
tcorey

Let's see, RecoverAll works, but you don't want to have to use it on all the drawings you get from this outside source. For the record, why the heck not? Recover is as easy as Open. 

If you're still going to insist on this, you need to learn about the setup at the company that provides the files. What software are they using? Maybe you can find a way to make that software export differently? Sometimes, you're better off having them export as LandXML instead of their off-brand CAD trying to write a dwg. Last resort, have them export to .dxf.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 7 of 11
cyleTJL8D
in reply to: tcorey

I apologize. Files from outside the office and exported files will still crash the first time I try to open them using Recover. I believe it is not a software issue either as it can even occur from files that I export with my own software of Civil 3D 2023.

Message 8 of 11
cyleTJL8D

After it crashes, I am usually able to normally open the same files up without an issue. Just a huge setback having to save and close all other files, and then wait on Civil 3d to crash, each time I open a file from a surveyor or that I have exported myself.
Message 9 of 11
rl_jackson

Can you provide these crashing files. I'd certainly like to open them on my end to see what the issue could possibly be.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
cyleTJL8D
in reply to: rl_jackson

It is not just certain files, it is any that have been exported or sent form outside our office. It also only affects my computer. Others in the office have no issue opening the files. I believe it is an internal issue on my Civil 3D and was hoping someone else had experienced a similar issue.

Message 11 of 11
cyleTJL8D

I have actually done quite a bit of digging and resolved this issue myself. There is a bug in the Civil 3D 2023 program that occurs when the message regarding Unresolved Reference Files is set to "always ignore unresolved references". I believe the crash would occur when trying to skip this pup-up message. I was able to fix this issue by opening the "Options"-->"System" tab-->"Hidden Messages Settings" and then checking all messages that involve XREFS. I hope that this solution will help future users resolve this issue, and might help Autodesk find a solution to the problem as a whole.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report