Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil3D Data Shortcut profile overwrite

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mattwhite6085
1882 Views, 6 Replies

Civil3D Data Shortcut profile overwrite

I have a bully of a profile data shortcut. 

We have a project with 75 alignments/profiles (and still growing).

We've divided the project into several separate sub-areas for civil design.  One drawing that has all the alignments/profiles, data shortcuts into the individual design drawings for creation of corridors and surface models.  design drawings limited to approx. 20 alignment/profile sets.

Recently a profile is over-writing the data for most of the baseline profiles in the corridor in some of the design drawings.(Different profiles in different drawings)

The only thing that i've found which causes things to reset is to Rt-Clk Delete ALL the profiles from the design drawing (they are all pointing to the wrong data shortcut file. delete the problem alignment/profile from the drawing, Remove the data shortcut for the problem profile from the data shortcuts list and re-reference all the other profiles.  from that point all is well until I recreate the datashortcut for that profile and re-synchronize the data-shortcuts, the same profile over-writes the data for all other profiles | back to square 1.

The following shows up in a dialog during synchronization(I've removed path information to protect the guilty), and regardless of the selection [Update the reference name] [Keep the old reference name] [Close], the profile is redefined and the corridor follows the 'new' definition.

Dialog Header: Object Name Change

The name of the source object for this reference has changed.
Old name:
AeccDbVAlignment name: FGC-Cerise Ln (1)
\\...\17047C_BASE.dwg

Current name:
AeccDbVAlignment name: FGC-Otter Rd
\\....\17047C_BASE.dwg

Please choose an action:

[Update the reference name] [Keep the old reference name] [Close]

AutoCAD Civil3D 2017 SP1.1

Windows 10 Pro x64 V1703 15063.786

Intel Corei7-7820X @ 3.6GHz (4.2GHz)

16Gb RAM

NVidia GTX 1080 FTW

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hello-

When we have to swap Alignment and/or Profile DREFs, we leverage the Manage Tab\Manage Data Shortcuts as shown below:

Captureqqqq.JPG

Left side shows what DREFs are currently in your Drawing, while the right side shows the current Project Shortcut DREFs available.  

I didn't follow if the Alignment has also been updated, but for arguments sake, let's say that it hasn't...only the Profile.  I would create a totally new DREF for the revised Profile into your Data Shortcuts Project.  It should correlate with the original Alignment DREF.

Next, I would open each Design Drawing that has the DREFs and associated corridors, surfaces, etc. and use the Manage Tab\Manage Data shortcuts interface.

You will highlight the old Design Profile (on the left) and then select the "Updated" Layout Profile now available on the Right-hand side.  Finally click the little "link" button in the center of both dialogs.  Then click ok and then do a Sync.  It will then give you the prompt to update the Profile Name.

I hope this helps.   

Michael M. Carlson
Senior Civil Designer
CADD Manager
AutoCAD Civil 3D Professional
AutoCAD Professional

Message 3 of 7

Mike,

I see where you're going, and that's definitely something for the toolbox. But when I go through that exerciseManageDREF.JPG

it is all paired, it matches 1:1 across the board, but for some reason that one profile definition takes over all the others.

Thanks for the input,

Matt

Message 4 of 7

Hmmm....have you tried to remove the Project Data Shortcut to the problem Profile and then recreate it with a “rev1” in the name?  Just curious if a fresh xml file will do the trick.  

Michael M. Carlson
Senior Civil Designer
CADD Manager
AutoCAD Professional

Message 5 of 7

Mike,

it helps if you push the 'link' button.

When I opened the DREF manager, and saw that it 'thought' it was pointing to the correct DREF, I reviewed all the information but did not force a re-link. 

Out of desperation, because I did NOT want to rebuild this monster from scratch (for free to the client) I went through every DREF instance, highlighted it, verified it was pointed to the proper DREF source, and pressed the 'link' button.

When I closed the DREF manager, all the profiles looked correct, a synchronize found no errors to report, and rebuilding the corridor has everything happy happy happy.

Thank you for your suggestion, and at least if it decides to lose its mind tomorrow, I know what Lithium dosage to apply.

Two more weeks on this beautiful beasty and press print on the plans and the invoice. 

Thank you again,

Matt

Message 6 of 7

You're most welcome Matt!  I'm happy I was able to help.  Best of luck to you when finishing your deadline!

Mike

Michael M. Carlson
Senior Civil Designer
CADD Manager
AutoCAD Professional

Message 7 of 7

Thank you Mike, I was working on a project where the alignments and profiles where found on 2 separate drawings, and I needed them to be only coming from one of the drawings and the other would use them from the DataShortcuts, I was about to delete all the alignments from one of the 2 drawings then reference them from the DS (and then build my corridor from scratch) but after a quick search I found your answer which did EXACTLY what I wanted to do, without the extra steps of having to rebuild everything that's dependent on those alignments/profiles afterwards.
Thank you again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report