Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D Taking a Long Time to Open Files

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
andrew.ico
945 Views, 6 Replies

Civil 3D Taking a Long Time to Open Files

I've recently encountered an issue where a large lightning strike near my office fried our servers and we were forced to switch to our backup server. With this change, C3D now runs extremely slow and takes several minutes to even load the program itself. Not to mention any sort of drawing will refuse to open (I've tried as long as an hour for a small file). I've updated the paths for settings and it seemed to fix the initial boot up load time but not the file load time. I've repaired and reinstalled the program but nothing seems to work. I'm at a loss for what could be causing such an issue and would appreciate any possible solutions. (This is Civil 3D 2020 Imperial)

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
wfberry
in reply to: andrew.ico

There is a good chance that the program is looking for something that is not available or is a different location compared to where it was before.

Something like a Printer, xref, ?

Bill

Message 3 of 7
andrew.ico
in reply to: wfberry

It's entirely possible that it's looking for the xref, though I'm not sure on how I would even be able to change the path on those if I can't access it in the first place.

Message 4 of 7
bstrandberg

Taking 3 minutes to start the program, I would reset the program to default, then install your own customizations.  Thanks.

Message 5 of 7
pendean

Perhaps your office-wide switch to the server also got fried or damaged.
Or your PC or NIC card also suffered damage.
Or your backup Server is not correctly configured or not 100% clone of the dead server.

Test disconnecting from the server first: with files locally, does the slowness disappear?
Connect back to the backup server, then using an all new log-in for the PC, test it: still slow?
Message 6 of 7
andrew.ico

It turns out that since the the files were referencing to the old server still, the host name needed to be changed to match the current (backup) server. After the host name was changed for the new IP address, CAD opened with broken links which is not a difficult thing to fix. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Message 7 of 7
bstrandberg

This is why I always prefer to use named drive letters, rather than UNC paths.  When the server changes, you just update the path.

One thing to never do is use a IP address to the server as part of an xref.  If the server is down or the IP changes, AutoCAD will keep trying to read it for about 5 minutes until it times out and shows it as unresolved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report