Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D Table Settings (ROW HEIGHT)

99 REPLIES 99
Message 1 of 100
Anonymous
17039 Views, 99 Replies

Civil 3D Table Settings (ROW HEIGHT)

Hey Everybody I searched all these boards and found a couple posts on this but no answers. Is there a way to change the row height in Civil 3D Created Tables (What I'm working with is Parcel Line and Curve Tables). I don't see any options in the styles or table properties menus and changing it in the general autocad tablestyles menu does nothing. Thanks for the help!

Matt Moore
Racey Engineering, PLLC
C3D SP2
Tags (1)
99 REPLIES 99
Message 61 of 100
RenataAntunes
in reply to: Anonymous

Its frustrating that one is not able to controll the row hight. As a workarround I have picked a big size font (best I could) and used force upper case setting to make the text show bigger, and reduced a little the overall data text size. It worked for now, if anyone can relate in their needs, but its really not ideal.

Message 62 of 100

(Forewarning, it seems the site doesn't like displaying .pngs as the attachment, but they should open when downloaded. Just tested it and it seems to work that way. Noted for next time 😥)

It's been over two years since I began my search for a fix or work-a-round to this issue. I'm working now in C3D 2021 and there is still no option for controlling the row heights.

During this time the only 'fix' I have developed that has proven most 'efficient' is listed below:

1. Create your line/curve tag tables, as normally done.
  2. Copy the tables, placing an exploded set behind the dynamic set and changing the color of the exploded set to something that contrasts the dynamic set. This will allow you to track changes to your geometry, as can be common through the course of your DWG, depending on what you're working on and how many tags you're using. See my attached screenshots for a quick example of this step.
    • Alternatively, you may take this exploded copy and save it into another drawing to xref behind your dynamic set of charts, thus saving space in your main drawing... Step 2 can severely bloat your DWG if you have upwards of 200-300 Curve Tags.
  3. Once again, copy the tables, but this time elsewhere so that you can explode and manipulate them. This will be the set to show via viewports in your paper space, after we edit.
  4. Explode this set twice, isolate the lines only, and delete them. This should leave you with only the text, which at this point will be MText. (I only say isolate to delete, rather than Select Similar, because if you're not paying attention you'll also select and delete the lines in your main drawing that may be on the same layer as your charts... Been there, not fun.)
  5. Explode the MText once more to turn them to plain Text.
  6. Starting from the left column (Typically the L# or C#) select all items in the column only (I prefer to leave out the header and column labels at this point, as the "#" symbol can mess you up later) and run the command "TXT2MTXT" (Ensure the "Combine into a single mtext object" setting is checked, along with "Sort top-down" is also checked).
  7. Once the entire column is a single MText entity, select the MText and set the property "Line space style" to 'Exactly', and (depending on your scale) set your "Line space distance" to something with less room between each line of text. For instance, the current plat I'm working on is at a 1':60" scale, and a line space distance of 8.0 is as far as I can go without risking the text becoming illegible after recording and subsequent scanning.
  8. Repeat #7 above for each other column (Radius, Delta, Chord, etc.)
  9. Figure the distance between each row, draw in a line, offset the same line the exact distance from each space between the rows to re-create the table.

Voila... Condensed Line and Curve charts... The jankiest, most ridiculous work-a-round I've ever had to consistently implement in almost every project with lots of Line/Curve tags. But, as you can see, this method can definitely cut out almost two-thirds of the un-needed empty space between rows.

Now, keep in mind step #2 is very important with this method, as it allows you to track changes in the geometry without having to re-create the line and curve charts, and will allow you to easily see which line/curve tags need to be revised in the condensed set. Again this condensed set is what you will be displaying via a VP in Paper Space onto your sheet. In one of my attached screenshots I have purposefully edited C62 to show what I mean with this, in case I have not properly described it well enough.

Please reply back to my message, anyone, if there are any questions/constructive criticism to the method above. Alternatively please feel free to message me directly, if need be.

SO.... In conclusion... If ANYONE has an easier method, or alternative suggestions, I would absolutely love to hear them. We can seemingly still only count on each other in the community, rather than AutoDesk for things like this.

*breathes deep*.... Gooooosfrabahhhh...

Message 63 of 100
Anonymous

I created a workaround for this using a free Autodesk addon (Civil Table Export).

1. Run Civil Table Export and choose Table
  2. Open .csv and format table as you would like it to be seen in Civil 3d and save as .xlsx
  3. Run the TABLE command and attach the .xlsx to your .dwg

You will now have the flexibility to adjust column and row heights and widths.

Civil Table Export

https://apps.autodesk.com/CIV3D/en/Detail/Index?id=7594632698699596084&appLang=en&os=Win64

Message 64 of 100
cody.faltin

Hey autodesk,

It has been 5,833 days, and this is still unresolved.

What's up with that?

Message 65 of 100
DBreisch
in reply to: cody.faltin

Wow, I went back to the first post just to check. That's a long time.

Message 66 of 100
ChrisRS

Apparently, one needs to be patient.

Project explorer (2021 and 2022) has more robust reporting and table functions.

I do not know if PE addresses line and curve tables. I suspect not. 

I also suspect that the availability of PE will discourage the Civil 3D team from addressing "table issues".

Christopher Stevens
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 67 of 100
tazeman

Well here comes 2022. The latest upgrade installed. NO HEIGHTS FOR LINE AND CURVE TABLES!!! Absolute Garbage!!! I would personally like to thank AUTODESK for their attention to seemingly every other detail except this. 😧

Whatever AUTODESK Whatever!! 

Also a workaround is a waste of time. Time is money. #JUSTFIXIT

Message 68 of 100
Incognito_Cube
in reply to: tazeman

@tazeman wrote:

I would personally like to thank AUTODESK for their attention to seemingly every other detail except this. 😧

I know you're being facetious, but it's hard to personally thank an entity who doesn't read their own forums. 🙄😂

It's unbelievable that other tables in the program have intuitive methods to modify row height... But line and curve tag tables are STILL the only types that do not support this. 

Whatever, I've given up on the support team (or lack thereof) for Autodesk a loooooooong time ago.

Message 69 of 100
cody.faltin
in reply to: ChrisRS

Thank you for the suggestion of exploring project explorer.  I looked into it, and it will produce a customizable dynamic table from a point group, but it is somewhat lacking.  It doesn't seem to allow you to leverage user specified point properties for any of the table information.  It also has a small selection of default colors that correspond to RGB values rather than index colors, to choose from for text.   Which means that you have to reassign the text color for the table after creation to make it work with a .ctb table.  It was a good start and I think it may be useful for things in the future but, not what I'm looking for right now.

Message 70 of 100
DBreisch

I am not dismissing anyone's suggestion on how we as users can get around this but the fact the users must come up with random workarounds to features that have been asked for is beyond frustrating. Again, we appreciate the help we bring to each other but AutoDESK really isn't listening to it's user base. 

Message 71 of 100
lim.wendy

Hi all, 

Hope your 2022 is off to a great start!

I am looking into it and will share with the relevant team. Thank you for sharing the feedback and suggestions. 

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Rails Summit

Message 72 of 100
Incognito_Cube
in reply to: lim.wendy

Woah, what!? Did we do it??

Quick, someone pinch me 😁

Thanks Wendy, hopefully this is a good starting ground for a possible future update. Very excited!

Message 73 of 100
DBreisch
in reply to: Incognito_Cube

Funny, I read this first thing this morning, I was in such shock I couldn't respond and just closed it. Now that someone else responded I see it was real. 

Message 74 of 100
lim.wendy

Thanks again for all the feedback. I do endeavour to reply and respond but I if I don't just feel free to @mention me or send me a PM. 

On this issue, yes, we have good news that this feature will be enhanced in the upcoming version. 

In the meantime, I'd encourage you all (if you haven't already) to participate in the Autodesk Feedback Community  which is a pre-release testing community for most every Autodesk product from desktop to mobile and cloud applications. This is an opportunity for you to test on the work closely with our designers, user researchers, and other product team members throughout the development lifecycle — including technology previews that are very early in the development process. 

What is the process to sign up?
Simply goes to https://feedback.autodesk.com/ and signs up creating your profile about them and what you would like to test. 

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Rails Summit

Message 75 of 100
ChrisRS

Amazing news, @lim.wendy.

Thank you. 

Christopher Stevens
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 76 of 100
ChrisRS

@lim.wendy wrote:

On this issue, yes, we have good news that this feature will be enhanced in the upcoming version. 

I do not see it in 2023 or 2022.1.3

I hope that I missed something?

I'll be 69 in a couple weeks. I'm not sure how many more upcoming releases I will be looking at. 

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Message 77 of 100
JOKO_

Same here.  I downloaded 2023 and no sign of an option to adjust row height for dynamic tables.  I'm disapointed.  

Message 78 of 100
Incognito_Cube

Thanks for updating @ChrisRS & @JOKO_ . I'm preparing to update as well, so at least I won't be expecting it in this release. I'll still check it out for myself & confirm.

@lim.wendy? :'(

Message 79 of 100
RenataAntunes
in reply to: ChrisRS

Awesome!

All the best in your best age! 

Message 80 of 100
ChrisRS
in reply to: RenataAntunes

Thank you!

Christopher Stevens

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report