Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3d Surface Questions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
288 Views, 5 Replies

Civil 3d Surface Questions

Hey everyone, I'm somewhat new to civil 3d. I used it in college about 6 years ago but haven't done much with it since then. My end goal is to draw a road section and do parcel layout on a tract of land. I got the dwg file for the parcels and centerline from the GIS office. I also got the contour line shape file from them as well. I have imported the shape file, and assigned elevations to the contours so now I am ready to create a surface. What I would like to do is use the dwg file for the parcels while its overlaid on the contour map to create my surface and make my outer boundary the outer boundary of the parcel. How would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Step #1 Call a surveyor and get a real boundary & topographic survey. Smiley Wink

If you can't do that then do this. 

Save the file as - Existing surface 

Then you can create a surface (home ribbon>create ground data>surfaces>create surface) name it existing surface

It will be empty, in your prospector> expand the surfaces +, then expand existing surface > Definition

Then there is a listing for contours. Right-click on that and select add. Make sure you set your mid-ordinate distance to 0.1. Pick all of the elevated (3d) polylines. 

There you have a surface, now put those polylines on a non-plotting layer and lock it. If you delete them they will erase in the surface.

Hope that helps

Message 3 of 6
Joe-Bouza

Add the contour data then apply the boundary

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Did that help?? 

Message 5 of 6
BrianHailey

When you add contour data to a surface, make sure you do it correctly.

https://civil3dplus.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/adding-contours-to-a-surface-youre-doing-it-wrong/

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: BrianHailey

Good to know, thanks for the info. 

Adding contours', is a last ditch effort to get existing surface data. For me anyway, 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report