Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D - Handling Large Aerials?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
vaughan.giles7AGEV
358 Views, 7 Replies

Civil 3D - Handling Large Aerials?

Hi everyone,

Once and for-all I am looking at the handling of aerials, or rather what is the BEST file format as well as post-processing / re-saving / combining...etc. that can be used to speed-up the performance of aerials within Civil 3D.

• What are the pros and cons of different raster file formats?
    • e.g. tiff .jpg .jp2 .sid .ecw.....etc.

• What software do you use and how (e.g. Global Mapper, ARCGIS...etc.):
    • To reduce aerial size
    • To increase performance

I've seen examples for example that can save proprietary file formats like MrSid (.sid) files, which are supposed to perform very very well, however I don't like the idea of having to rely solely on propitiatory data and there has to be a better way of handling aerials.

What are some of your experiences?

Thank you for your time.

Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

XREF.. then XCLIP only what you need for Civil 3D

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 3 of 8

Not really the answer I was hoping for, I'm focusing on the file types, sizing and methods for producing faster, lighter aerials.

Message 4 of 8

In general, I use Sid files as they are freely available, and our GIS Department has ArcGIS to create custom Sid files if we have multiple images but want to reduce file size / area of interest. We also have Lizardtech so that we can create custom aerials from our drone lidar flights, it's probably the best compression tool for handling images that I know of. I rarely ever use the other formats you pointed to due to their file size in most cases.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 8

Yeah I've been wanting to trial the .sid format, but their GeoExpress tool from what I understand is not the cheapest out there (is it $5,000 a year I hear?)

...can't create the .sid files from ArcGIS without their software / license either.

Message 6 of 8

If you want to change the wavelet compression using a wavelet transform .. then LizardTech.. but then you will start getting back to resolutions like a jpeg.. no bueno

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2025
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 7 of 8

There is no free lunch.

resolution = file size. 
As @fcernst  suggest, XCLIP

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 8

We are running Civil 3d 2024 and ran into issues when we purchased a County data set of aerials that were processed as ECW format with 4-bands. Apparently the software cannot properly handle 4-band image. We were lucky that the 3rd party that flew them was willing to reprocess them with 3-bands.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report