Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Civil 3D as AutoCAD

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
rkmcswain
3158 Views, 9 Replies

Civil 3D as AutoCAD

So running this gives you what appears to be plain AutoCAD.

But a simple drawing started with "no template" still includes Civil objects (proxies when opened in true vanilla AutoCAD) - so what is the point?

If you want a true clean DWG file and you only have Civil 3D installed, I guess you still have to Export to DWG?

TIA.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rkmcswain

I know it’s not the point but having the OE would eliminate the proxy warning , yes?

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
rkmcswain
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I suppose @Joe-Bouza

I guess I should have been more clear with the goal. Given an installation of Civil 3D, can you create clean DWG files with no AEC content? Looks like the answer is NO.

We can't control if other have the OE, plus there is just no sense in including this garbage when it's not needed.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 10
M_c3d

Whilst it might seem like vanilla autocad, it has some of the functionality of civil 3d, such as if you delete a corridor target, it will re build the corridor in 'civil 3d as autocad 20xx'. It won't do this in vanilla autocad with OE installed.

Message 5 of 10
M_c3d

Out of interest why are you running autocad as civil 3d?

If you are on IDSP or AEC you should have vanilla autocad as a stand alone.

There is no harm in using the civil 3d templates on 2d drawings (other than a host of styles etc).

Message 6 of 10
dgorsman

Hmmm... does it *actually* start with no template, or does it call a default DWT?  Maybe try selectively replacing a few DWT files in the install folder and see what happens?  Otherwise my first suspect would be demand-loading of the OE (it gets installed with the program).  Find the DBX entry in the registry and kill it by changing the loader flag value (restore it after testing, of course).  I've had to do that with a third-party OE which did something similar.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 10
rkmcswain
in reply to: dgorsman

When I do this, I expect it to not load a template file.

notemp.PNG

Message 8 of 10
rkmcswain
in reply to: M_c3d

mmcgovern wrote:

Out of interest why are you running autocad as civil 3d? (You mean Civil 3D as AutoCAD)

If you are on IDSP or AEC you should have vanilla autocad as a stand alone.

There is no harm in using the civil 3d templates on 2d drawings (other than a host of styles etc).

• Because I want to create a clean DWG file with no AEC embedded garbage.
  • No suites or collections here.
  • See point 1.
Thanks.
Message 9 of 10
M_c3d

Yea sorry i meant to say that the other way round!

Its a difficult one to manage, if someone opens it in the wrong one, i.e. civil 3d, its automatically going to add its wonderful complexity of settings in.

That's why I just instruct the users to use the civil 3d templates for all drafting.

Message 10 of 10

I am now using 2018 I have noticed that when I export to DWG 2010 people useing autocad can’t open, so I have to export to 2007, I didn’t find that with 2017,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report