Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing station tick mark color

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
5500 Views, 6 Replies

Changing station tick mark color

We have to make a drawing with stationing and profiles on access roads, so we are going to make all the alignments and profiles in one drawing.

We have a style set up in other drawings on the same project where color 100 prints a bright white (to be visible on aerial imagery), and we have alignment station labels and tick marks that are both set up to print as this color.

Well, we imported that style into our access road drawing, and while the stationing text is the correct color, the tick marks are showing up cyan (prints black). The tick marks are the block Aecctickline. I checked our other alignment drawings and they have this same block as the tick mark and it shows up the correct color. Editing the label style doesn't seem to help as you can change the display color on the tick mark, but it doesn't do anything, I assume due to the fact that it is technically a block.

Without finding and editing the block, how can we change the color on this tick mark? I'm sure its color is coming from a layer but I have no idea which layer it's on.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
chriscowgill7373
in reply to: Anonymous

what are the properties of the current layer?

We've found in some of the older versions that the station ticks take on the properties of the current layer, which required us to always set the current layer to 0 when prepping to plot.

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 3 of 7
ITandCADguy

While the AECTickLine is created using layer 0 and color set to bylayer, the block itself is part of the label.

As such, the tick line will always adopt the color of the layer the label is placed on.

One way around this is to work it backwards.  Put the label on a layer with color 100, and change the text color in the label style to be something other than bylayer.Forums.pngForums2.pngForums3.png

Message 4 of 7
MMcCall402

I leaning towards the issue being in that Aectickline block. The current drawing probably alread had the block when the style was imported so it didn't come from the source file as it was defined there.  Insert and redefine that block in the current drawing from the source drawing.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ITandCADguy

I'm a little confused with this whole thing...

I made a separate drawing (because the stuff we're working with is split into two drawings). I took an existing drawing that we had used for some other stuff with the access roads previously, did a save as, and imported in the styles I needed for the alignment labels and profiles.

Well, when I created my first alignment, the tick marks and station labels were both the correct color of 100, and it was creating them on label 0.

My coworker, who was working in the other drawing, I believe started with a new drawing, imported in the styles, but when she inserts labels it is putting them in on the C-ROAD-TEXT layer. The ticks are cyan, despite the fact that if you go in to edit styles on that label everything is identical in both drawings (the main layer is set to one we have called P-PLAN-VIEWPORT-TEXT which is color 100, and the color is set to 100 in both the station text and tick settings). It does not seem to be bringing the ticks in on the current layer (in her drawing the current layer was set to C-ANNO-MATCH-PATT which is set to White), rather it is just making them the arbitrary color of cyan.

I'm sure it is an issue with the block but I don't know exactly where that block is.

Message 6 of 7
ITandCADguy

To edit the block, just type BEDIT and then look for the AECTickLine block.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ITandCADguy

That's exactly what I needed, thank you.

Something was boogered. The block was set to layer 0 yet it was not displaying the current layer color. We changed it to a layer we had created called TICK that was the correct color and it's all good now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report