Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in Display of proposed Contours /Change in Design of Proposed Surface

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
christopher_c_donovan
410 Views, 7 Replies

Change in Display of proposed Contours /Change in Design of Proposed Surface

I attach a dwg file to illustrate a problem I am having with SURFACES. 

Designed 2 [exploratory] surfaces for Driveway/Parking for a Residence - created a design plane 

for each using a rectangular feature line [from polyline] assigned very simple slopes [2/2.5%] to drain away from House. Created surfaces for each area. I did this mainly to collect sample spot elevations in various areas around the House and garden so as to aid in the design of access roads/retaining walls and of course the more detailed design of the parking areas.

Being an old diehard I also like to have contours displayed  - granted they are very few in such small areas/slopes BUT they do confirm general drainage/slopes not to mention the fact that the surface IS there

I restarted the project this morning but the contours were not displaying as I had left them on closing - I pressed rebuild and to my surprise the contours on the top most parking area [also top of page/North] displayed as shown. [Note I didn't Rebuild the lower area - it still displays as when created]

The four corners of the original Feature Line rectangle were originally set at 8.4 and then graded right to left at 2% in short the four corners were in and around 8.4/8.3 - now the contours show a +/- 3-4 metre fall across the surface and some spots in FeatureLine Editor show below 4M!!

What has happened?  I thought once created a Surface was 'Stable' like the coordinates of a line once drawn in Autocad.  

I am still on a steep learning curve with Civil 3d but Hell it has more variables than Beelzebub himself!!!

Que Passa? I thought I had just learnt a fool proof workflow with Surfaces!!!  Evidently Not!! 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

@christopher_c_donovan wrote:

...  I thought once created a Surface was 'Stable' like the coordinates of a line once drawn in Autocad.  

A surface is not a "stable" object. If it's underlying data change, the surface will update to show those changes.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 8

I thawed and unlocked the 2 "Parking" layers and the contours show. There's only one in the bottom. So it's easy to miss.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8

Thanks - you are absolutely right!!  I need to Play with this more!  Mucked about yesterday with a couple of 

quick rectangles/building pads - created feature lines and surfaces for both and then broke the rules and dragged them over each other and took a good hard look at what happened. 

It was educational to say the least - sometimes hacking your way through things is the right approach and others quietly taking a good look around. 

I am still in Primary School with this software!! There are going to be more than a few embarrassing moments!!

Much obliged for your input.

Message 5 of 8

Thanks - I have been moving too fast with my education!!  Need to play with surfaces some more!!

I think what happened to the Top Parking was due to my trying to grade the House slab [with a rectangular feature line] directly adjacent to it. I had put a boundary around the Top Parking Surface and 'forgotten' that the feature line rectangle that I had used to 'design' the original surface extended beyond the Parking and over the House with the consequence the two 'design' rectangles [break lines] interacted causing the change in the Top Parking contours when I pressed Rebuild.

Thanks again for your input -I am sure there'll be some more embarrassing moments to come. Your patience is greatly appreciated

As the sages say - there are many ways to bow down and kiss the ground - and learning Civil 3D is certainly one of them!!

Message 6 of 8

We've all been there. Post again when you hit the next bump.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
mdrehaan
in reply to: tcorey

i want to solve this problem surface style in civil 3dScreenshot 2024-04-04 082436.pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 082524.pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 082544.png

Message 8 of 8

the problem is when i was open civil 3d there is problem in creating surfaces in style bar open and also dwon area there is nothing to do and show me any options 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report