Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't browse to open file

31 REPLIES 31
SOLVED
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
70109 Views, 31 Replies

Can't browse to open file

When I open the software and try select "open", I have to type in the name of the drawing and path on the command line, it won't allow me to browse for the drawing or show recently used drawings.  I can work around this by typing in the path and name, but it is inconvenient.  Is there a setting that I need to change? 

31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

How does this switch to 0 by itself? this is not something I ever would have chosen. I'm very grateful to have found a solution. Thank you.

Message 22 of 32
Neilw_05

Often after a crash the FILEDIA variable gets set to 0.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 23 of 32
jeff_rivers

Custom commands or scripts that need to run without user input can disable echoing text to the command line while they run.  They also may set FILEDIA to 0 to prevent the dialog box from appearing; this way the script can enter the appropriate path & filename on the command line.  

When the script concludes, it should set FILEDIA back to 1, but if the script is interrupted before it concludes, you're stuck with FILEDIA=0.  

Jeffrey Rivers
Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i9 3.7GHz, 64 GB
NVIDIA RTX A4000
C3D 2020 V13.2.89.0
Message 24 of 32
santhoulakis

Have noticed that when a crash happens after trying to export drawing to Autocad (crashing is quite common in that case) FILEDIA is set to 0.

Message 25 of 32
Anonymous

great help, thanks!

Message 26 of 32
Anonymous

Thank you. This fixed my issue

Message 27 of 32
Anonymous

I can't browse MY Files window when clicking Open files.....    It just gives me a dialog box.  I entered the FILEDIA=1 and it says can't find file. I need help.

Message 28 of 32
Neilw_05

The command is FILEDIA, not FILEDIA=1. Type FILEDIA, enter, then at the prompt for a value type 1.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 29 of 32
MMcCall402
in reply to: Neilw_05

Also, this needs to be entered at the command line with a file already open. So, open any file, enter Filedia, set it to 1. Close the file.  Now it should operate as you'd expect with a dialog box for browsing files.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 30 of 32

thanks man that worked

Message 31 of 32
rkmcswain

Its hard to believe that in the year 2022, that the worlds leader in design software with $3.79B in revenue, still has a product that requires users to go out to a forum to find an answer about something so trivial as a missing dialog. There are so many technical ways to overcome this "issue", yet here we are still making end users wonder why it happens.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 32 of 32
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: rkmcswain

Indeed.

you point it out elegantly.  Sad reality is users have been asking this question for 30 years or more

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report