Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD Survey Spot Elevations - How to add to a surface?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
rdavisMX6RG
1486 Views, 10 Replies

CAD Survey Spot Elevations - How to add to a surface?

Hi,

I am trying to learn civil 3d as I go so apologies for any silly questions.....

I have a CAD .dwg of a survey of a field.  The field is very flat so there are very few contour lines shown.  The surveyor has naturally given me spot elevations in between the contours to tell me the local levels.  I can make a basic TIN surface from the contours by "Create Surface" => Definition=> and add contours.  Draw a PLine for boundary and add this and I have my basic surface.

For me to add the Spot Elevations though, to give the surface more definition, how do I do this?  The spot elevation text have Z values, as does the node beside it.

Any help very welcome.

rdavisMX6RG_0-1665658077366.png

Labels (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
rl_jackson
in reply to: rdavisMX6RG

When you say you're creating a surface from contours, was that something that was already available. Is the data reliable? If you have data from the surveyor, you should use that to create a TIN surface either by creating a group for you surface points and adding that to you EG (existing ground) surface. As for spot grades, if you have enough information from the surveyor to create a surface once complete you could use spot elevation labels or spot elevation labels on a grid to interpolate you TIN model and provide a elevation, or if you so choose to use the data that the surveyor provided and just style it however you wanted it to look.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
AllenJessup

CAn you post the drawing or at least a portion with some spot labels in it. There may be a couple of options. But that depends on how the spot labels were created.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
rdavisMX6RG

Allen Jessup,

.dwg attached.  Basically I'm trying to form surface, very few contours so need to use the spots (Layer existing surface).

Probably very straight forward but I am new to the civil 3D.

Thanks for assistance.

Message 5 of 11
cwr-pae

Xref the file with the surface and use the cogo points as spot elevations. Control the display/filtering with point groups. Which is what we typically do for existing grades.

Or dref the surface and import selected cogo points as spot elevation (again using point groups).

Or dref the surface and create spot elevations on a grid plus add any you think are necessary at critical spots (on curbs, gutters, etc.). What we typically do for finished/design surfaces.

Or Dref the surface and create cogo points on a grid and along lines (such as curb lines pavement edges), select the point group and set the elevations to the dref'd surface.

Or a combination of any of the above.

My vote would be the first option but there many ways to accomplish your goal.

Message 6 of 11
AllenJessup

Looks like you got an easy one. The blocks that show the "X" are at elevations. Add them to the Surface.

AllenJessup_0-1665669889941.png

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
rdavisMX6RG
in reply to: AllenJessup

Sorry,

just back on this again now.

When I select the marker blocks and add to the surface, should the triangulation in the surface not change to show me that the CAD elevation marker is now part of the surface??  Or am I totally off the mark?

Message 8 of 11
AllenJessup

If the Surface isn't set to Rebuild Automatic. You might have do a Rebuild.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
rdavisMX6RG
in reply to: AllenJessup

Spots_not part of triananulation.JPG

Hi again,

Im back on this one again. (Work so busy not getting much time to learn/practice the excellent advice given here)

This one is frustrating the heck outta me. 

We get surveys in CAD format, with the contours shown and spots usually in block format.

I create the surface using the "..definition=>Contours" tab and all contours form my surface.  That part is ok. 

But, especially on flat sites, there may be very few contours so the surveys are made up of spots.  I have gone through the above steps to add the spots but, as per attached image, my surface triangulation is not hitting the points?

Bar manually going around and forming points in my dwg, how can I just add these to form part of my triangulated surface?

Tbh I'm not sure I'm even explaining my issue correctly.

(I'm still a newbie so if any reply can be made as simple as possible, I would be very grateful)

rdavisMX6RG_0-1670747144011.png

Message 10 of 11
Pointdump

Hi Ray,
Best practice for creating surfaces is to add your best data first. And if you want TIN lines hitting your Block spots, draw 3D Polylines or Feature Lines through them and then add those first to your Surface as Breaklines.
Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 11 of 11
rdavisMX6RG

Hi again,

I think I solved my problem, by accident tbh.

I made a surface from only my contours (EG Contours)

Then, I had to make a another surface (Topo Blocks)

I highlighted the relevant spot elevation blocks and "select all" and then isolate.

Even though they already had an elevation, under "Modify">"Surface">"Move to surface" I had to move the blocks to the attribute elevation.

When this was done it was a simple exercise of adding these new blocks under Definition>Drawing Objects>Add>Blocks to that surface.

Finally, I made a Master "EG Topo" surface and merged the 2 surfaces into this.

The above worked for me on this.  There may be a more simple method but it gets me over the line for today 🙂

As always, thanks for the responses above.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report