Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C3D to Hydraflow XML Import

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
817 Views, 23 Replies

C3D to Hydraflow XML Import

I am getting the "An error occurred processing this XML Import" error whenever I try to import this pipe network. I am fairly certain all my pipes are flowing in the correct direction, and they are connected properly to all of the structures. I am at a loss. Can anyone offer any help?
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Matt.Anderson
in reply to: Anonymous

MBailey -

This file looks like it was exported from Hydralow once. What changes did you make to it that you need to bring it back to Hydraflow?

Matthew Anderson, PE
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous

I am having the same problem on two different projects. I have gone through and corrected the flow direction as well as made sure all pipes and structures are connected. Any other ideas to what would be causing this error?
Message 4 of 24
Matt.Anderson

mbailey -

Line 42 is backwards, so structure 43 has three ins, and no outs, and Structure 31 has two outs.

Matthew Anderson, PE
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 5 of 24
Matt.Anderson

There are a number things that could be of issue. Either attend AU 2008 and attend my class - CV204-4 or post your XML files.

Matthew Anderson, PE

P.S. or do both.
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous

Attached is one of the XML files.
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous

Hi Matt, are you from Canada? Your name rings a bell.

Janet
Message 8 of 24
Matt.Anderson

Janet -

No. Sorry, I've been to Toronto before, but I think the Matt you are probably are thining of is Matt Kolberg with Global CADD Systems.

Matthew Anderson, PE
Joseph A Schudt & Associates
www.jaseng.com
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 9 of 24
Matt.Anderson

Oops - I hit send message twice 'cause the D.G. gave me an error. Edited by: Matt.Anderson on Sep 23, 2008 9:23 PM
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 10 of 24
Matt.Anderson

After importing your XML file back into Civil 3d - the flow direction gets messed up.
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 11 of 24
mjung

We are having this problem as well.

Is there a way to edit the xml file to make it import?

Looking at all the C3D data the pipe are flowing dowstream. The import worked until a new manhole was added turning one pipe into two. Would this have caused the new pipe to run from the downstream MH to the new upstream MH making the XML think its flowing uphill?

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 12 of 24
Matt.Anderson

mjung -

Can you edit the XML file? Sure. Its just text - I use XML Notepad typically to find these in/out and out/out errors.

Most of the errors can and should be fixed prior to getting them out of civil 3d. If you error out of Hydraflow SSE, reimport it back into Civil to get an idea of what Civil kicked out and what the SSE is seeing.

How are you coming to the result that the pipes are all flowing downstream?

Matthew Anderson, PE
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 13 of 24
mjung

We have the network shown in profile to determine the inverts. When viewing the xml file in XML Notepad I noticed that some of the structures were showing the "flowdir out" before the "flowdir in". changing this didn't seem to fix the import error problem. I will try reimporting the xml into civil 3d and see what I get.

Thanks for the quick reply on this....

Message 14 of 24
mjung

OK... imported the xml into a new drawing and everything seemed to flow downhill. But this time I used the "Pipe Network Vista" to view the inverts of the pipes. Sure enough one of the pipes has the start where the end should be.

What is the easiest way to fix this? Tried disconnecting the pipe from the MH's and grip editing back to the opposite MH's. This fixed the "start inv" to be higher than the "end invert", but the new exported xml still didn't import to Hydraflow.

Message 15 of 24
mjung

All-right... I finally got it to work. I had to delete the pipe that was causing the problem and redraw it so the start was upstream and the end was downstream.

I also found out that you can't have 2 outlets on a structure. I guess that will have to be a question on a new thread....

Message 16 of 24
Matt.Anderson

MJung -

You are correct. Hydraflow can not accept a double out pipe. Nearly 100% of the problem is FLOW DIRECTION and the doubling of outflow.

I presented a quick 1 hour webcast a couple of weeks ago at www.civil3d.com. I think the guys at EE have links to the recorded webast.

By the way - there are a couple of items that I am currently working on for my AU paper to help make this easier - cause deleting in redrawing is a pain. Amazingly - its already built into the program - just I can't seem to find anyone else who is talking about in the way I am doing it.

Matthew Anderson, PE
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 17 of 24
mjung

I'll have to check out the EE Cast. You guys always have good information on those.
Wish I was attending AU to see what your "easier way" is. Guess I'll have to wait till the recorded sessions are made available:-)

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous

Could you please help me with this. I attended your class at au2008 and still can not find the error

Thanks,

Chris marsh
Message 19 of 24
Matt.Anderson

Chris -

It looks like the file was editted, and something is missing - Structure 12. That structure refrerenced as the connection structure in at least two pipes, but the data is missing which makes the pipe network in error.

As an aside, I can't import this file back into CIvil 3d either.

Matthew Anderson, PE
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 20 of 24
Anonymous

Matt,
Could you help me out with this one? When I go to import the attached xml file I get the standard error message. I was able to narrow down the problem to an area upstream of line "I-2410 to MH-2400". (i.e. when I delete all pipes and structures upstream of this point the file is successfully imported into Hydraflow). I checked the direction of flow and confirmed that all the pipes are attached to structures but it still doesn't come in. Any ideas?

Also, any insight into whether or not Hydraflow will ever improve upon their error messages? It would be extremely helpful if the program identified the exact problem or even the line number where the error was encountered.

Thanks,
Tony

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report