Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bentley MicroStation to AutoCAD Color Conversion

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
alexka
2392 Views, 5 Replies

Bentley MicroStation to AutoCAD Color Conversion

I'm wondering if anyone has some documentation that shows how colors are converted when exporting a .dgn to a .dwg. My understanding is that an AutoCAD index color that closely matches the Bentley MicroStation color is automatically assigned during the export: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Conver...

I'm looking for a table or chart that shows every MicroStation color and it's corresponding AutoCAD index color. The article above gives the example of a .dgn number 6 color being converted to a .dwg number 30, but I'd like to see the entire color list if its available.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rl_jackson
in reply to: alexka

As far as a color map would go there is a file called Chroma.dwg that maps the AutoCAD colors, I'm not familiar with uStation but it might be available. 

C3D can do a direct conversion of a dgn file if you have a seed file, you may want to look at that to handle the process. 

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
alexka
in reply to: rl_jackson

I'm trying to manually map MicroStation colors to AutoCAD colors.

Where I work, the State agency primarily uses MicroStation for their production, whereas the company I work for primarily uses Civil 3D.  For color exhibits, the State has a legend for MicroStation that depicts what color each roadway feature should be on. I'm trying to create a similar legend in AutoCAD that mimics these Microstation colors so that I can still use Civil 3D for production, but achieve a similar look to the MicroStation colors.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

do you have access to Microstation? It does a way better job of converting, IMO. My machine hangs if I try to use C3D to convert - mainly because people here in the city are used to being able to attach many, many references in mstn (20+ is not uncommon, including ortho photos) and acad doesn't like that. so I have to use mstn to convert.

The good news is that it works really well. There's a way to map mstn color to acad colors, as well as linetypes, layers, fonts, etc. you set up a mapping file once then use it thereafter.

Message 5 of 6
alexka
in reply to: Anonymous

I personally only have the Bentley Viewer, but there are others in the company I work for that have Microstation. I'm going to ask one of them if they can help me. I just thought having a table or chart of the color conversions would be helpful so that an export from .dgn to .dwg every time wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks for the input.

Message 6 of 6
lynn_zhang

Hello @alexka ,

Just wondering if you got the help you needed to solve the problem. If yes, please share the solution so this will benefit other users in the Community. Thanks! 🙂

Lynn Zhang
Community Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report