Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Updates Too?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
MSchille-1994
625 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD Updates Too?

Our company uses Civil 3D on a daily basis.  While we DO install all the Civil 3D updates and hot fixes, we have not been installing generic AutoCAD updates.

Do the Civil 3D updates include the AutoCAD updates or should we be installing the AutoCAD updates as well?  Will Civil 3D incorporate the AutoCAD updates into its application?

Michael

Attitude, not Aptitude, Determines Altitude
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
user181
in reply to: MSchille-1994

No the civil updates don't include the Autocad updates and yes you should install the autocad updates.  You should also install the Map updates.  Use the about command to see the updates you have installed. 

2022ver.png

EESignature

Message 3 of 11

@user181thank you for the clarity.  I've been drafting for 20+ years, don't know why I just thought of this now.

Message 4 of 11
DoomiNATEr_19!
in reply to: user181

I will say, I do not even install standard AutoCAD, I only install Civil 3d. My reasoning is to avoid unnecessary updates, to avoid multiple instances from opening (it happens more than i would like if i have them both), and to free up space (keeps the system running smoothly).

If storage is no issue for you then great but I have no issues with only installing the Civil 3d program, and any plug in's/standalone add-on's that i wish to use (Map 3d, Raster Design, Vehicle Tracking)

Message 5 of 11

@DoomiNATEr_19! that's the same boat I'm in.  We only install Civil 3D as we don't need vanilla AutoCAD for anything.  That's why I was curious what others do with their updates.  Do the AutoCAD updates apply to a Civil 3D only application on my machine?

Message 6 of 11

DoomiNATEr_19_0-1652796281362.png

My about screen looks like this, I think me and a co-worker are going to look into this further soon. I'll get back with you.

Message 7 of 11
rl_jackson
in reply to: MSchille-1994

@DoomiNATEr_19!  There is nothing to look into, if you install C3D you are installing Autocad. Civil3D is built on Map3D which is built on Autocad. As @user181 stated, you should install all updates for Autocad and Map3D for everything to work as expected.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
DoomiNATEr_19!
in reply to: rl_jackson

Not trying to be argumentative, but, I don't have AutoCAD installed, at all. I ONLY have Civil3D installed. There are no updates for AutoCAD because I don't have the program installed to begin with. What we are looking into is, if we install AutoCAD, does it change the version of AutoCAD listed in the about window that Civil3D is 'built on:'

I am assuming, by not installing AutoCAD, that all the 'built on:' info that Civil3D needs is included in the Civil3D updates.

But, my theory is that, if i install AutoCAD, and my 'built on:' version changes then it would be beneficial to keep the full version installed.

Again, I have been using Civil3D as a standalone install for a few years (over multiple different releases) without issue.

Message 9 of 11
user181
in reply to: DoomiNATEr_19!

@DoomiNATEr_19!   You don't need to have installed autocad separately if you have civil 3d.  You can't find any autocad updates because it is already installed. Look at your image, you have AutoCAD 2023.0.1 that is the latest update.  And new updates will appear in your update list for both autocad and map even though you didn't install separately as stand alone programs and you need to updated them as they are released. 

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
MSchille-1994

@DoomiNATEr_19! thanks for the replies.  Ill take a look at this in a bit.  We are on 2022 but Id assume the same theory applies.

Message 11 of 11
DoomiNATEr_19!

Ok............

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report