Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Slowness Solutions

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
429 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD Slowness Solutions

Hi all. Any tips to combat AutoCAD slowness related to all and any; opening files, xreferincing files, inserting blocks, etc file related?

Here's the situation: I just got a new laptop Dell w/ Intel i7 2.70 Ghz processor and 16 GB RAM. It was working great for a couple weeks then all of a sudden things started getting bogged down. I work with large files with multiple civil 3d tools active and lots of xrefs and data shortcuts, but the machine didnt seem to have any problems to start with. I also work off a server, box and my harddrive and they all are noticeably slower.   

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
john.vellek
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

What version of AutoCAD are you using? Type About and show me the results.

Since this was all working properly for a while, is it possible to start eliminating possibilities? I first suggest running a selective startup.  This might take several reboots to isolate any offending applications.

Next, I suggest removing any add-ins to see if things get back to normal.

Please post your results.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Autodesk Knowledge Network | Autodesk Account | Product Feedback
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Hi John,

Windows 10 Pro

AutoCAD version 

Cad.PNG

Message 4 of 9
Jeff_M

Ringo, first, install all Service packs. After that, you will need to open, save, close the drawings you work with. If you have many dwg's to update, the PDF found HERE should help.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 5 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous,

I agree with @Jeff_M that you need to apply the updates available for your products. They can be found here.

Please add a post with the results.

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

John Vellek

Join the Autodesk Customer Council - Interact with developers, provide feedback on current and future software releases, and beta test the latest software!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: john.vellek

Thanks for all the help.

I dont believe the service pack made a difference, although I didnt time it. Still taking about 3-4 minutes and I tried two different files. I used a file off my hard drive about 2000kb with 2-3 xrefs around the same size and no shortcuts. Opening the file seems to get caught up on intializing (see below)

cad2.PNG 

Message 7 of 9
john.vellek

Hi @Anonymous, 

I suggest performing a Reset Settings to Default might fix this issue. Thanks for the update on the status of this issue.

John Vellek

Message 8 of 9
Jeff_M

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all the help.

I dont believe the service pack made a difference, although I didnt time it. 

If you didn't open, save, close the dwg's first then you won't see much, if any difference. And every file opened and saved in C3D2013-2016 prior installing the latest service pack, must be saved in order for the fix for the drawings to be applied. You will also note the size of the drawings to be reduced afterwards.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Jeff_M

Upon testing, this appears to have worked. I've only been able to do it with files not linked with other XREFS. I'm going to look at the pdf you provided and look at implementing with other files and pot. other users. Thanks a lot!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report