Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotating curb catch basins

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Neilw_05
548 Views, 16 Replies

Annotating curb catch basins

This problem arose recently on a road construction project. There are catch basins that are integrated into the curbs of the road. The typical label for a catch basin calls out the rim station, offset and elevation. However, what is needed is the back of curb station, offset and elevation, as that is what governs the construction. How can we incorporate this info into the labels?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Labels (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Cadguru42
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw_05 wrote:

This problem arose recently on a road construction project. There are catch basins that are integrated into the curbs of the road. The typical label for a catch basin calls out the rim station, offset and elevation. However, what is needed is the back of curb station, offset and elevation, as that is what governs the construction. How can we incorporate this info into the labels?

If you don't need structure info in the plan view label then you could use an alignment/station offset label at these points or a note label. Another possible solution would be to use a COGO point and label.

The other non-fun "solution" is to create a catch basin part where the insertion point is the back of curb you want labeled. Too bad Autodesk has abandoned Part Builder for Infrastructure Parts Editor, which doesn't work properly for C3D use.

C3D 2022-2025
Windows 11
32GB RAM
Message 3 of 17
Joe-Bouza

Like these? We use the MH cover as insertion and report that. the Inlet ; gutter can be an expression down from rim.

If not the MH it most likely the sidewalk elevation

Is what I have done

JoeBouza_0-1698328616761.png

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
tcorey

Use a Reference Text component in the station label. This will let you pick the back of curb as a reference even if the main alignment is different. It's easy to show station/offset in relation to both alignments in one label.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 5 of 17
Neilw_05
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

These catch basins aren't like that Joe. See attached.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 6 of 17
Joe-Bouza

I have seen those. I would use the flow line for insert and expression for TC

Joe Bouza
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 17
Neilw_05

Could you elaborate about the expression?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 8 of 17
Neilw_05
in reply to: tcorey

I'm not understanding Tim. How can I control where the station and offset applies in the reference text? Won't it just use the center of the structure for the location? I only want to reference the road alignment, not the alignment for the pipes.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 9 of 17
Joe-Bouza

In the label style collection at the bottom is expressions. You can crate a parameter to use in a label style . In this instance I think you want the TC and station offset. 

So in the expression builder give it a name   say structure TC

from the pop down select insert rim then + d

now in the style composer you can add Structure TC

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 10 of 17
MMcCall402

Just to illustrate what Joe is saying.

MMcCall402_0-1698345819804.png

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 11 of 17
Neilw_05

I get that part. So this approach will require an expression for each type of catch basin that has different horizontal and vertical offsets from the rim of the structure to the back of curb, right? It's not ideal but probably the best option so far.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 12 of 17
MMcCall402

If you're not using all the structure properties already you could highjack them to use for labelling.   ie: curb inlets don't have a 'cone height' but the cone height is a property available to all junction structures.  You could specify a cone height in your parts list for the different types of curb inlets and then have the expression be 'insertion elevation + cone height' to determine the TC elevation.  It makes a single label style resilient to the type of structure its being used for.

I use this method in my structure/labeling so the label can determine if its labeling a manhole with a 'Rim", a flat inlet with a "Grate", or a curb inlet with a "Grate" and a "Top of Curb".  One label does it all.  Swap the structure and the label adapts.

Example.  This is one label style for structures and one for pipes. They adapt to structure type, pipe type, and length. For the user it just happens.

MMcCall402_0-1698348604031.png

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 13 of 17
Neilw_05
in reply to: MMcCall402

Great idea. that solves the elevation part. How do I get the back of curb station and offset? Back to making expressions for each type of structure?

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 14 of 17
cwr-pae

I think @MMcCall402 's point was you can use any property not used for a particular structure as a stand in for other values. Such as using barrel height, which has no use in a square structure, for curb offset. Stationing should be automatic based on the alignment that you can override when dref'ing the network.

Message 15 of 17
Neilw_05
in reply to: cwr-pae

Good point. I'll play around with these ideas and post back if I can get it to work.

WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 16 of 17
MMcCall402

The station and offset gets tricky when the structure isn't directly facing the alignment.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 17 of 17
Joe-Bouza

That’s correct for structures of differing geometry would require different labels / expressions 

sorting the prospector by type for selection set would make that labeling less painful

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report