Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a second minor axis in profile view

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Hannah.SchauerJ2DKC
532 Views, 7 Replies

Adding a second minor axis in profile view

So I'm trying to imitate a city-standard for a profile view in microstation - which I am not using for this particular project. It has a 4' vertical major axis, a 1' minor axis and then an ADDITIONAL .2' dashed minor axis. I got the major and minor in just fine but is there a way to have a secondary axis (only because they use a solid line type on one axis and a dashed on the other). 

See picture below

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Create a new Profile View Style that shows the grid lines the way you want.

Copy the existing profile view, @0,0,0.

Move the copy off to the side so it is easier to select. Through Profile View Properties, assign the alternative minor grid style as the Profile View Style. Also, go to the Profiles tab and uncheck any profiles so they are not drawn. Satisfied? Move the Profile View back into place atop the original. Now you have different minor styles in what looks like a single profile view.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 8

You have two vertical axes left and right.

Your data is on the left axis (Major and minor).

Define the right axis so that get the other minor interval.

Using offsets move those ticks/labels to the left axis.

Jeewana Meegahage
Design Engineer
Autodesk Civil 3D Tutorials
Facebook | YouTube | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 8

The problem with this method is that I could produce the ticks and labels but that would be it. What I really need is a secondary line that is dashed that can show my 0.5' step. And the lines are only in the display as "minor vertical axis"
Message 5 of 8

I would do this if I didn't have to make literally like 500 profiles this way. Is there an easier way? Like a pattern of linetypes. So every 5th one is solid but the ones in between are dashed?
Message 6 of 8

How about using a simple object like hatch pattern to replicate the secondary minor grid, or a polar array.  It's not dynamic, but it is easy to implement and edit.

image.png

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 7 of 8
MMcCall402
in reply to: MMcCall402

Another thought: Overlay two profile views. Apply a style to the second one to only produce a minor grid at the required spacing of the secondary minor grid. This would be dynamic to some extent.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 8 of 8

After other exhausted measures I think this may be the only way, and it actually gave me an idea to just make an underlay profile with the weird specificities you can only get through OpenRoads. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report