Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add linetype to a template not a .lin file

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1752 Views, 3 Replies

Add linetype to a template not a .lin file

Hi guys!

I was trying to add a line type from a .lin file to my drawing but when I send it to someone he dont see it unless he have the .lin files.

Can we add linetype into the template file directly ?

This woul be a real time saver.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jay_B
in reply to: Anonymous

Not Custom lines containing custom shapes, the .shx file must be sent along with the .lin for the receiving party to display the lines correctly.

They will also need to map the shx location in support file search path.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 4
rkmcswain
in reply to: Anonymous

mbradette wrote:

I was trying to add a line type from a .lin file to my drawing but when I send it to someone he dont see it unless he have the .lin files.

Can we add linetype into the template file directly ?

Linetypes ARE stored in the DWG file.

As @Jay_B points out however, if the linetype is a complex linetype, then it will contain references to either (A) a shape in a shape file, or (B) a textstyle. 

If (A), then you'll need to send the SHX (shape) file and it will have to be "found" on the receipients machine (it can go in the same folder as the DWG file).

If (B), then it will most likely work since the textstyle will be present in the drawing. The exception would be if the font referenced by the text style is not available _and_ there is no alternate font set that contains the same characters used in the linetype definition. In that case, you'd have to send the SHX (font) file or the TTF font file (note that some fonts are protected by copyright, check before sharing).

There is a way to not have to send any addition files, but it's destructive so I would not recommend unless all parties are aware of the consequences. Explode the complex linetype into native cad entities

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 4 of 4
doni49
in reply to: rkmcswain

And even IF/WHEN a linetype does contain references to BOTH a shx and a text style, I've never heard of acad requiring the actual lin file.

The acad dwg file contains a linetype definition that tells it:

1. How long the gaps & dashes are.
  2. Where to place symbols & what shx file they're in.
  3. Where to place text & what text style to use.

Once you've loaded a linetype in, it shouldn't ever need the lin file -- unless you want to add another linetype from it.  Even if the shx file is not found, it should still draw the gaps & dashes and even draw text regardless of having the correct style.  If it can't find the correct style, I beleive it uses "Standard".

Here's a quick sample.  First I created a new dwg file and drew a line that uses the FENCELIN2 linetype which uses a shape from ltypeshp.shx

Here's what looks like:

AcadLtypeBefore.png

Then I temporarily renamed my lin & shx files so that acad wouldn't be able to find them and re-opened my dwg file.

This is what it looks like after:

AcadLtypeAfter.png 

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report