Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Elevation data to a drawing

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1135 Views, 9 Replies

Add Elevation data to a drawing

Hi, I wish to be able to show Elevation data on a drawing. I can import a SHP file which shows Elevation data when right clicking on a line and viewing Properties but how can i show this inormation on the drawing? 

I am new to CIvil 3d so apologies if this is a basic question. Many thanks in advance. Andrew

Labels (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
AllenJessup
in reply to: Anonymous

First you want to Create a Surface From GIS Data. Then you need to create a Surface Spot Elevation Label Style

AllenJessup_0-1628011733729.png

Then you can label elevations on the Surface.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
ChicagoLooper

@Anonymous wrote:

<<Hi, I wish to be able to show Elevation data on a drawing. I can import a SHP file which shows Elevation data when right clicking on a line and viewing Properties....>>

What command are you using to import the shapefile? Can you upload a screenshot that shows a line and the line's elevation in the Properties Palette?

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

You can also show contour data. On the annotation tab far left click Add labels and you'll see the different kinds of features you can label. That's where you find the spot el labels and contour labels - under Surface. If you don't like the text style, the height, the label precision, the layer, you Edit the label. Become very familiar with the label style composer, you'll use it a lot until you get things right.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: ChicagoLooper

Hi, I am using MAPIMPORT to import the data, Properties does show Elevation data. To confirm I am trying to label the SHP file lines (Contour lines) as per the second image created on QGIS.

Screenshot 2021-08-04 101611.jpeg

Screenshot 2021-08-04 101955.jpeg

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi, Many thanks for your response, I have gone through the process as described and I can show 'point elvations' but not all lines are labelled, 

Screenshot 2021-08-04 102500.jpeg

This is what i'm aiming for;

Screenshot 2021-08-04 101955.jpeg

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Did you end up with a Civil 3D surface? Here is how to label contours https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-t... 

Message 8 of 10
ChicagoLooper

So you have used MapPort to convert the ESRI linework into AutoCad lines. You have also ‘captured’ the shapefile attributes as object data (OD). Now you want to use the OD to label the lines, correct?

You can use the Map3D tools to do it by adding the ‘drawing layer’ to the Map Task Pane then create a ‘text style’ on the newly added layer. The text style is the what drives the labels: it harvests the OD and uses that OD to create individual labels. 

Here’s a video that uses MapImport on a street shapefile. The OD data that was captured contains street names and it is from this OD that street labels have been created.

To watch the video click >>HERE<<.

01C1F9F3-17F4-405D-BEBB-AEF018D746E2.jpeg

The video above demonstrates one way you can accomplish your goal. There are alternatives.  

Depending on your situation, you might also be able to add the shapefile itself to your drawing. Once added, you can label the shapefile line work. The individual labels use the shapefile’s database (dbf) to make those labels. The shapefile labels then can be converted to mtext, using Map3D tools, of course. By doing it this way, you are manipulating the mtext labels, not the shapefile.  

Chicagolooper

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Hi All, many thanks for all of your assistance with my query. I have now been able to create what i needed - ELEVATION data to show on a polyline (in this case shown as Contour lines). Creating a SURFACE did work to an extent but was not what I required as i didn't need to recreate values already in the shape file. In the end i used the MAPANNTEXT command to display the ELEVATION data as needed. I still need to do a bit of fine tuning but this command may help others.

Screenshot 2021-08-06 111938.jpeg

Message 10 of 10
АлексЮстасу

Hi,

CADaSchtroumpf has created a special lisp for such tasks - OD2DXF38.lsp.
Fast and easy.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/civil-3d-forum/state-gis-shape-file-error/m-p/10120427#M445114

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report