Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACAD Export - Layers

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
TOONFANCC
2349 Views, 4 Replies

ACAD Export - Layers

I use the object layer suffix (detailed here) so my corridors, surfaces etc. have a unique layer name which makes it easier to freeze off certain elements of the model.

To allow other users in my office (who don't have Civil 3D) to view the content, I export my drawing to an ACAD format. However, this loses the unique layers, i.e. all of my corridors appear in C-CORRIDORS, not C-CORRIDORS-Road1, C-CORRIDORS-Road2 etc. Is there a way to export my drawing to ACAD whilst maintaining the layer names?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
rl_jackson
in reply to: TOONFANCC

I can't think of a way you can do that, the think is the objects style have the layer of the style, you just telling the object to be on the suffix (or prefix) layer.

Perhaps, using a Object Enabler, vs exporting might help the plan ACAD user, this way your objects are intact, they can view and see them, but can't edit them.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
cwr-pae

I have never used the auto naming layer function, so I'm not positive of this: but if you manually explode a C3D object, it remains on its current layer, this may be what you need. CTL+A to select everything and explode. This should also effectively "export" the drawing to ACAD.

Message 4 of 5
wpagl452

Hi @TOONFANCC thanks for your forum post!

What versions are you using? I just made some dummy suffix layers for a few corridors in C3D 2019, exported to ACAD, and they retained their unique layers. I hope I'm understanding your workflow correctly. As @cwr-pae mentioned, exploding the objects should work as well, but they will read as blocks instead of AECC objects once in ACAD.

Let us know if we can help further.

All the best,
Winston
Message 5 of 5
wpagl452

Here are some methods to retain unique layer names for Civil 3D objects when going from Civil 3D to AutoCAD.

1. As was mentioned above, explode the object. Export to AutoCAD filetype. In AutoCAD, block retains unique layer name. Undo the explode in Civil 3D.

2. Slight spin on the first way. Copy the file, explode the object to a block and just open using AutoCAD. Block in AutoCAD retains unique layer name. This second method doesn't use export and avoids touching the original Civil 3D object file. 

3. Copy the file and open using AutoCAD. Object is identified as AECC object in AutoCAD with unique layer name retained. This method also doesn't use export and avoids touching the orignal drawing.

Simply exporting a Civil 3D file with AECC objects to AutoCAD will result in the object being broken down into it's base components (similar to exploding twice). In the case of a corridor, the object is exported as lines and 3D polyines that are on the layers set by the corridor style in Civil 3D.

All the best,
Winston

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report