Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

62-acre project site corridor all-as-one or multiples?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
RobertEVs
522 Views, 15 Replies

62-acre project site corridor all-as-one or multiples?

Picking the corridor modeling expert brains here.

I'm laying out this subdivision and in addition to multiple streets there are several sidewalk pathways. I plan on creating corridor models for all streets and pathways as individual models since most of the pathways are not contiguous and the streets intersect. Since my deeper-dive corridor experience has only been over the last couple years is it better to create one single corridor model of the streets/pathways and region out each intersection or leave them as standalone corridor models? I have the CTC project suite installed so I can merge them all to one model and when finished pretty easily. What would be the pros or cons to multiple corridor models in one drawing? 

Just looking for thoughts

2024-04-26_09-14-33.png

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

I haven't seen a good reason to use multiple corridors.  The only reason to use more than one in my opinion is if you want more than one resulting surface, Phase 1-2, or if you are tiling the data in the project due to size issues.

I spend time on this forum because I enjoy Civil 3d and getting your likes.

Check out my Civil 3d blog at: http://c3dk.com/
Favorite Posts: Use Dynamo For Surface Analysis: https://youtu.be/eJNdX6guMP8
Message 3 of 16

Thank you for the input.

I can create surfaces from each corridor and paste them all into my Final FG. So far, my file size is under 7.5mb with 7 streets and 13 pathways running frequency at 10 tangents/curves which makes this drawing manageable. Can you tell me why you would prefer one single corridor? Easier to manage? I ask because either way seems to work the same from my experience.

Message 4 of 16

I agree with you there isn't any big change in the way you manage the corridor 1 vs many.  I have typically used one, because I haven't seen a great reason to go with many.  Both should work about the same.  

Message 5 of 16

Good info Brian. BTW you create the GSV? I love that little add-on. Use it almost daily

2024-04-26_09-14-33.png

Message 6 of 16

Yes I did.  I'm glad you enjoy it.  I was reviewing a survey and it took me like 5 minutes to find the right point in street view, and decided that was stupid it should take so long.

Message 7 of 16

We had about 11 on staff in our department now down to 6. I did a presentation once I found out about this add-on, offered to install and set it up for anyone. Not a single response. I SMH to young engineers at times.

Message 8 of 16

I added that to our menu and did a short video and many didn't know about it.  Later I sent an email with just links to a few short videos on process and got alot of positive feedback on that.

Currently we have over 30 Civil 3d videos in our company system, and over 60 total, I think its getting harder for people for people to find what they need.

Message 9 of 16

I created an excel spreadsheet with links to all my training videos and links I find pertinent to my own needs. I open Ctrl>F type some text, example intersections or targeting and away I go.

2024-04-26_09-14-33.png

Message 10 of 16
BrianHailey
in reply to: RobertEVs

I'm also in the mindset of a single corridor model. I model as much as I can with the corridor and then leave gaps where the corridor doesn't make sense and then use featureline grading in those areas.

Here's an example of a similar project (a bit smaller though) done with one corridor.

BrianHailey_0-1721680735314.png

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 16
RobertEVs
in reply to: BrianHailey

Brian I'm gathering you are not one to bother with intersection offsets or returns?

Message 12 of 16
Joe-Bouza

I am in the one corridor camp. unless you have to divided the work among others

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 16
BrianHailey

@RobertEVs wrote:

Brian I'm gathering you are not one to bother with intersection offsets or returns?

@RobertEVs it depends. At the start of the design, absolutely not. I don't bother with them at all. Once the design gets close to completion and things aren't moving around as much, then I'll do the intersection. When I do, if they are simple intersections that the intersection tool can be used for, then I will do them with a corridor. If not, then I'll do them with featureline grading. The example picture I shared was from a project that I did the design for back in the LDD days and then used that project to train myself on Civil 3D so it's not a complete design.

What makes an intersection so incredibly complex that it's not worth trying to model it using the corridor tools? A cross pan, which almost every intersection in my  area has.

BrianHailey_0-1721741111186.png

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 14 of 16
RobertEVs
in reply to: BrianHailey

What makes an intersection so incredibly complex that it's not worth trying to model it using the corridor tools? A cross pan, which almost every intersection in my area has.

I'm with you on that. I'll do a simple intersection then set any post drain pans across streets using featurelines relative to surface. If I have to adjust the PVI at the intersection my drain pans will follow. So far, my project is going well.

2024-04-26_09-14-33.png

Message 15 of 16
lim.wendy

I also lean towards using one corridor model for similar reasons. Here’s an example from a project I worked on many years ago using a single corridor model:

I find that managing one comprehensive model ensures consistency across the project. Of course, there are always pros and cons to consider depending on the specific project needs...

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 16 of 16

I'm not quite sold on a single corridor model.  I found it weird when I came to my current company and that is how some users were doing it.  Perhaps I'm just overcomplicating my corridors, but, how would a single corridor work in areas where parts of the corridor that need to tie together, but they are dependent on a part of the corridor for definition?  With a separate corridor, you can generate an autofeature line,and possibly use that as a baseline, or a target point.  You wouldnt be able to do that with a single model, because it is tied to that corridor object and it would be in an infinite loop of redefining the feature line, and then updating the portion of the corridor.   I dont believe that offset alignments and offset profiles work in every situation to define the road section.  there are some really weird things that go on when you have bumpouts for curb and such.

Christopher T. Cowgill, P.E.

AutoCAD Certified Professional
Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2022 on Windows 10

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report