Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Pipe Profile Label question

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
960 Views, 17 Replies

2018 Pipe Profile Label question

I just started using Civil 3d 2018. When I label a pipe in profile view I get an extra label at the connecting structure. Why is this? What up  this the extra label???What up this the extra label???

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
cwr-pae
in reply to: Anonymous

Its the crossing pipe label. I think its a bug where it labels the pipe at the structure as a crossing pipe. I usually get it on a pipe entering or on a pipe that is not parallel to the alignment/profile.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: cwr-pae

Thanks for the reply. I did double check that my alignment PI's were at the insertion points of my network structures. I  do wonder if this is a known bug.

Message 4 of 18
Tomasz_Piotrowski

Hi @Anonymous

could you please post a sample data?

Tomasz Piotrowski
Product Owner/ QA Engineer - RSA Project
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Tomasz_Piotrowski

Here is the drawing. Thanks for taking time to look at it.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

I'm not sure what happen with my multiple posts. How can this post get removed?

Message 7 of 18
Tomasz_Piotrowski

Hi @Anonymous

I have double checked your drawing and unfortunately I cannot recreate an issue. Everything looks fine on my end. I have checked in C3D 2018 and 2019 as well.

The drawing has been changed in comparison to your screencast from the first post. Is the label at the connection still visibile in this version of the drawing on your machine?

If yes, could you check if your Civil 3D is updated? Which "product version" and "built on " do you have. To check please enter ABOUT in command line.

C3D2018C3D2018

C3D2019C3D2019

Tomasz Piotrowski
Message 8 of 18

Also, could you walk us thru the method you're using to add the pipe labels.  (different methods use different command label defaults)

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 9 of 18

Sure. Please look at the following articles. I think that it has been well described. 

To Label Multiple Pipes and Structures

To Label Pressure Networks

Generally it's a good idea. @Anonymous could you please also consider to use Autodesk Screencast and record your workflow?

Tomasz Piotrowski
Message 10 of 18
Anonymous

I did just download the screencast program. When I get done with the grading plan I am working on I will post more info. Again, thanks for helping me out.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous

I did the screencast thingy...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/e7ddf1d7-8d37-47db-8548-9a8a743a48fd

If this isn't enough info, please let me know.

Paul

Message 12 of 18
MMcCall402

I'm not sure what the problem is but its somehow being caused by the alignment.  For some reason the ends of the pipe are being considered crossing pipes.

I made new alignments, both manually and by pipe network, made profile views for each and the pipes labeled as expected.

How was the current alignment created?  Were they created in an earlier version?

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: MMcCall402

The drawing is not from an earlier version & I used the Alignment Creation tools. Oh well..

Message 14 of 18
Tomasz_Piotrowski

Hi @Anonymous

The problem is the settings of your labels. I rebuilt them a bit and recorded a screencast for you. To watch it please visit this link:

https://autode.sk/2lpKYET

If I managed to answer your question(s) press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solution(s) much faster. Thank you.

Tomasz Piotrowski
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Is it required to delete all the components of my pipe labels and just use the part description to make this work?

Message 16 of 18
Tomasz_Piotrowski

Hi @Anonymous

It's just one of the workflows. Labels in Civil 3D have many options. Important is that you have to set a pipe label instead of a crossing pipe label.

Tomasz Piotrowski
Message 17 of 18

The part I wasn't understanding was how/why the pipes were deciding to label themselves as crossing pipes.  If I made a new alignment and profile view then the pipes labeled as expected with no change at all to the label styles, pipe network settings or command defaults. The only difference being the alignment.

Mark Mccall 
CAD Mangler

Hammer Land Engineering

Linkedin

Message 18 of 18

I get the same thing in 2017. I think it occurs when the structure style is not set to show scrossing pipe outline

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report