Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Spot elevation

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
743 Views, 4 Replies

Surface Spot elevation

I am working on parking lot project, here i want to mark pavement edge on the drawing or final plans with easting, northin and elevations. so my co worker did with surface spot elevation but what is the best way to do this ? this is a on going project. 

Thanks,

Joseph

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
b.johnson.4204
in reply to: Anonymous

There are probably a few ways to go about this but if you need those three pieces of information (surface elevation, northing, and easting) then I would say utilizing a surface spot elevation is one of the easiest ways for sure.

Message 3 of 5
Neil.Aryan

@Anonymous,

It depends on the case or possibilities of designers. I will suggest 2 ways and you can choose any of that,

Surface Spot elevation: You can use surface spot elevation for SOP's and  tables. very easy and convenient to work and also spot elevations will be updates once the surface is updated automatically no need any manual cross check or verification required. but little difficult to export to excel or any other format. Generating surface spot elevation is not that easy you need to click number of times on screen. for example if you have 40 vertices points on a line then you need to add manually to it.

Points: You can use points or cogo points method to add or show SOP's and table. This method is also very much useful. but if you use the points method for SOP's these points will not get update with respect to surface updating. each time you need to select points and update manually, little less effort required. but here is the great advantage you can use point groups method to control the SOP's for style and updating of elevation in one single shot. the main advantage of using points method is you can export the points to excel file and also different formats which is very much convenient work out side for example marking on site by uploading to total station machines. and also import back to civil 3d. main and big advantage is adding or creating SOP's takes very less time compare to surface spot elevation method. you can generate 1000 points in a fraction of seconds. but surface spot elevation cant be done like this.

So I would suggest you to go with Points Method easy to work and save time.

Let me know if you need any other clarifications always open for discussions.

Did you found this post is unique ? Hit Like Button.
Did this post resolved your issue? Hit Accept as Solution & Like Button. This will be helps others to solve the issue.
Cheers,

Neil
Project Manager | Civil | ACE Inc.
Certified Civil 3d Professional | YouTube | My-Blog

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Also all spot elevations are belongs to top pavement or top of concrete. My coworker automatically generate Curb elevations using the pavement elevations. He suggested that spot elevations can be done easily and reference to get the curb elevations adding some difference.

Message 5 of 5
Neil.Aryan

yes you can use expression method to add secondary elevation tags. you can also use the same way for points as well. but once use the expressions for points you can export that both elevations.

if you are showing SOP table on plan and have more number vertices points I suggest you to use points method so that you can easily add the points and control. and also easy to upload to survey instruments and can work easily.

Some expressions for points and surface can be found here,

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/article/253761

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/article/253756

Did you found this post is unique ? Hit Like Button.
Did this post resolved your issue? Hit Accept as Solution & Like Button. This will be helps others to solve the issue.
Cheers,

Neil
Project Manager | Civil | ACE Inc.
Certified Civil 3d Professional | YouTube | My-Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report