Community
Civil 3D Customization
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D Customization topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Customization

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
b.johnson.4204
488 Views, 3 Replies

Assembly Customization

I have a profile running along the top of my pipe and am creating corridor surface profile from it. I am showing fill above each pipe for 2.5'. Currently I am just using a basic lane subassembly and making it 2.5' thick. The attachment for lanes is at the top of the pavement though, so to make the 2.5' thick fill go above the pipe I then have to physically move that subassembly up 2.5'. Is there any way to make the insertion point for that lane subassembly at the bottom so I don't have to physically move it up every time or is there another subassembly piece that can function like I want that I am not utilizing. Thanks! 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jeff_M
in reply to: b.johnson.4204

Use a LinkVertical subassembly with a 2.5' vertical deflection, attach the lane to this?
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 4
b.johnson.4204
in reply to: Jeff_M

A co-worker suggested that as well. Wouldn't I still have to snap the lanes to that link at the top? What is the advantage of that vs just moving it up 2.5'?

Message 4 of 4
tyronebk
in reply to: b.johnson.4204

I often use move offsets in assembly creation, especially when there is an unchanging vertical offset, but there are advantages using another subassembly to control that offset. Moving a subassembly away from it's attachment point results in a completely constant offset value, which is quick and dirty but unforgiving when you need to make adjustments. Using another subassembly to control the offset allows you to control the offset value using a target or parameter reference if the design changes. It also makes it easier to confirm an offset value without having to measure the move distance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report