Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pump-API Add-In: Works for fans?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
474 Views, 6 Replies

Pump-API Add-In: Works for fans?

Hi everyone!

I'm simulating a centrifugal fan (with Rotating Region) and I would like to know if I can use Pump-API Add-In to get the fan curve (fluid: air).

If the answer is yes, what should I keep in mind?

Hope some answers 🙂 Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

André Silva

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Anonymous

I can't see a reason why not 🙂

Have you already seen the guide? This covers a lot of useful topics to keep in mind.

Best of luck, please ask us if you need any help (maybe kick off a new thread if you run into difficulties with setting up the model).

Thanks,

Jon

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hi Jon 🙂

Thanks for the answer. I have the same opinion of you... I already read  the guide. The only difference in process of PUMP-API between a pump and a fan is the value of specify gravity (water: 1; air: 0.0013 by Google). I'm right Jon?
I'm simulating for ten points of fan curve, and at moment, no bugs or difficulties during simulation 🙂
When I finish the simulation, I post here the converge plots to you give me your opinion, please.

Thanks a lot!!!!!

Best regards

Message 4 of 7
Jon.Wilde

Hello - no problem at all.

Does the API have a fixed value or does it read from the fluid material though? I'm not sure - seems that you know more than me here 😄

Cool, please do feel free to share. I know what my question will be though - did you run a mesh and time step sensitivity study on a single point before running the entire batch? This is also a smart thing to do 😉

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Jon 🙂

According to the Pump-API guide, after all jobs done, in Process Data, there is a time to check the fluid properties (specify gravity) - default: water = 1. Just in this moment is ask what fluid was utilized (in the material module, I specify air as the fluid used).

I'm simulating each point of fan curve one by one until converge the solution. I utilized 3 degree for time step size and refine mesh in rotating region (volume uniform 0.5), all edges between impeller and volute (also uniform), the inlet and outlet surfaces (volute and rotating region)... I chose 1400 iterations (image of converge plot - not finish yet). What you think about the converge plot? Converged?

Already, when I tried to supress the impeller region (solid part), the software doesn't work, show a error... 😕 Any suggestion about that by the away?

One more week and I have all results about the fan (I post here to everyone watch 😉 )

Thanks a lot Jon, your help is very important to me 🙂

Best regards

Message 6 of 7
Jon.Wilde

My point was - consider running a single point first. Run a mesh sensitivity study to be sure your mesh is good and the results are independent.

It is not a necessity but it better than later discovering your mesh was not OK.

What error do you get when you suppress the solid? Easier if you share a screenshot 😉

Thanks for offering to share your findings, this is great for the community!

Jon

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hi Jon 🙂

Thanks for the tip 😉 I will continue the Pump API simulation and after, I will do what you say to validate the results 😉
The error take over the software and don't leave to run the simulation. After, I run without supress the solid parts and the simulation start without errors...

Again, thanks a lot Jon 😉

Best regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report