Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with inlet/outlet air flow to thermal model

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
354 Views, 3 Replies

Issue with inlet/outlet air flow to thermal model

Hi,

I'm trying to perform a study of thermal comfort in a conference room with slot inlets and a central outlet point. I've done both a simple model with a small room with 1 inlet and 1 outlet and a 'full scale' model with a large room and 30 inlets and 1 outlet.

I expect inlet velocity speeds over each inlet slot to be approx. 1.1 m/s. This is achieved well with no problem in the simple model with the inlet plume acting as expected. However, when trying to apply the principle to the 'full scale' model I get close to zero velocity speed values  over the inlets (0.0005 m/s etc.), i.e. close to no inlet air to the model. Convergence is still fine though, but the model seems to neglect to BC's in question. I've tried optimizing the grid sizing for the inlet slots, so it is much finer for the 'full scale' model than for the simple one. Any ideas for what might be wrong? Should I try applying som inlet conditions (e.g. air velocity over the inlet slots) in order to help the model 'notice' the applied air flow BC's? I've attached both support-files:

- Simple room: 'Komponenttest-06_1_support'

- 'Full scale' room: '7350-01A - HSS_1_support'

Can you help me out please? Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Also including the attachments.

Message 3 of 4
marwan_azzam
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

I opened the file "7350-01A - Ballroom-07_1_support.cfz"

My hand calculations indicate an inlet velocity of 6.627e-7 m/s.

You are getting 0.0005 m/s so I'd say you are way ahead of the game here.

I looked at a random inlet surface:

Q=VA

Q = 167 m3/h

A = 1000m x 70m = 70,000m2

V = 167/70,000 m/h

You've got one huge building.

Check your units.

cheers,

Marwan

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: marwan_azzam

Hi Marwan,

You are completely right. It does indeed look like I made a "small" a scaling factor (of 1000).

Thanks for the input!

Cheers,

Rasmus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report