Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flow driven Vertical Axis Wind Turbine

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
18010408BMQU2
844 Views, 8 Replies

Flow driven Vertical Axis Wind Turbine

I am working on CFD simulation of Vertical axis wind turbine. For this I have assign the related material. And assigned the boundary conditions as:

Inlet velocity: 15 km/h , Outlet : Pressure = 0 Pa

Initial condition: Pressure= 1 atm, Temp = 40 deg cel

I have applied Angular motion and selected Flow driven unbounded option.

But in results the turbine is not rotating completely, It only rotates half way then again comes back to its initial position.

18010408BMQU2_1-1650901362807.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
KubliJ
in reply to: 18010408BMQU2

Hi @18010408BMQU2 

Your fluid mesh in the sweeping path of the 'blades' needs to be smaller than the thickness of the blades to get appropriate behavior. Elements are not fully disabled unless they are completely within the moving volume. Which is going to make the model impossibly large to get a mesh density correct enough for that model.

I recommend using a rotating region instead of angular motion. The rotating region can be set to free spinning, and you can put a back force on the turbine to simulate energy generation.

You will also want to widen your flow path. You are likely artificially choking the flow, which is going to create a higher pressure drop and flow speeds than would be accurate.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Please marked this as solved if your question has been answered.
Message 3 of 9
18010408BMQU2
in reply to: KubliJ

Thanks, @KubliJ For your Recommendation.
Message 4 of 9
18010408BMQU2

In the attached animation video 1, I have Increased the size of the enclosure after that the blades are moving but as we see there is zero velocity near the sides of an enclosure, velocity is varying only in the center. Why it is showing like that? any suggestion?

(Same boundary conditions.)

And also, I have done the same that was suggested by  KubliJ i.e by taking Rotating Region and applying free-spinning condition, but the blades are rotating in the wrong direction. 

Message 5 of 9

Just from the picture it seems your air domain should be much larger. Wall effects may limit the air flow.

Message 6 of 9
KubliJ

Hi @18010408BMQU2 

Check out a video of my attempt at your vertical axis wind vane. I did it in 2D for speed.

Attached is also my 2D model for reference.

One of the challenges I ran into were save intervals. The first time I ran they were too large once the vane got spinning make the rotation look odd.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Message 7 of 9
18010408BMQU2

Thanks, KubliJ, Can you tell me the CPU configuration required for smooth CFD Simulation.

Message 8 of 9
KubliJ

Hi @18010408BMQU2 

Here is the suggested system requirements.

Thanks,

James

James Kubli, P.E.

Message 9 of 9
Jose_Manuel_C

A query as is the configuration that I used for the solver before starting the simulation?

Thanks

Jose Manuel Cazon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report