Community
BIM 360 Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Compare Two Different Files

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Eric.Vilaire
583 Views, 4 Replies

Can't Compare Two Different Files

Hello everyone, 

I have two Revit files that I received from a consultant that I need to compare for my review. One Revit file is the design model of a building and the other is an as-built model of the same building. I want to upload both files into my BIM 360 project so that I can use the Compare feature and see the differences/changes right away between the files.

(The way I understand how the Compare feature in BIM 360 works is that you compare different versions of a file. And different versions of a file are created when you upload a file with the same name.)

I uploaded the design model first using Revit Cloud Worksharing (Save As -> Cloud Model). Then I tried uploading the as-built model to BIM 360 also using Revit Cloud Worksharing but Revit is preventing this saying "Model name duplicated" (See attached). This is where it gets confusing because if I were to change the name of the as-built  model file and then upload it to BIM 360 then I will no be able to compare it with the design....

I thought maybe I could workaround this by simply clicking and dragging the as-built file into the same BIM 360 folder that the design file was in, but BIM 360 wont let me do that either saying "Couldn't upload file because it was previously saved to this folder using Revit Cloud Worksharing. Please try uploading to a different folder, or use Revit Cloud Worksharing to save to current folder" (see attached).

Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this? Am I going about this the wrong way? 

Essentially all I want to do is compare the same model in BIM 360 that exists in two separate files. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MachielAEC
in reply to: Eric.Vilaire

The method you are applying won’t work. Saving cloud models will always want to save a different file instead of overwriting the previous file. This also includes when you are trying to upload the file name shouldn’t be the same - you can delete the other files if not needed. Each file in each folder should be unique and is why you are most likely getting the errors for file names.

As mentioned, the simplest way of comparing the 2 files is to manually upload, into the web interface, the models as you planned - design file first then as-built model, make sure the file with the same name doesn’t exist.

Before you upload, just make sure you have similar views within the models so you can compare the same views.

Machiel Odendaal
---BIM Enthusiast---
Message 3 of 5
Eric.Vilaire
in reply to: MachielAEC

Thanks for the reply Machiel!

@MachielAEC wrote:

The method you are applying won’t work. Saving cloud models will always want to save a different file instead of overwriting the previous file. This also includes when you are trying to upload the file name shouldn’t be the same - you can delete the other files if not needed. Each file in each folder should be unique and is why you are most likely getting the errors for file names.

So from what you're saying, it is not possible to create another version of a file (we'll say Version 2, the as-built model) by uploading a different file with the same name as the original so as to "overwrite" the original and have the original become the previous version (Version 1, the design model). 

And if that is the case then it would not be possible to compare these two files using the compare feature in BIM360 which will help me detect added, removed, and modified changes. Correct? Because from my understanding you can only compare different versions of the same file (V1 and V2 for example) and not different unique files in the same folder. Right?

Again, in my situation this is a desirable feature since, essentially, I am comparing the same building - its just the deliverables I received came as two different Revit files.

As mentioned, the simplest way of comparing the 2 files is to manually upload, into the web interface, the models as you planned - design file first then as-built model, make sure the file with the same name doesn’t exist.

Before you upload, just make sure you have similar views within the models so you can compare the same views.

So is your suggestion to simply pull up the design and as-built model on separate web interfaces and visually compare them? If so, that is not much help for me. I want all the differences highlighted to show team members. 

I could always use Navisworks to make the model comparisons but I really like to have it all done in BIM360 so that 3rd party members don't need to download and purchase another application..

Message 4 of 5
MachielAEC
in reply to: Eric.Vilaire

Think I missed typed my intention.

You need to upload the models and their names should be the same. That will give you the versioning (V1 - Design Model; V2 - As-Built Model) in the same folder.

what you can’t do, is to upload a model if you already did a Save to Cloud of the model. Platform will error you out for that.

what I’m suggesting is that you either deleta all prev files that aren’t needed (uploaded, saved to cloud, etc) and the manually upload the models;

OR, create a new folder and do the manual uploads in there.

Machiel Odendaal
---BIM Enthusiast---
Message 5 of 5
Eric.Vilaire
in reply to: MachielAEC

I tried your advice and uploaded the Revit file manually and directly from my local storage folder to a BIM 360 folder with the same name. This created the two versions I wanted so that I can use the compare feature.

The reason why I didn't try that in the first place was because I was under the impression that to see the model in BIM 360 it had to be uploaded through Revit with the save as -> cloud method. I saw a YouTube video saying that somewhere. Anyways, I guess I was wrong.

Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report