Community
BIM 360 Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIM360 to Autodesk Viewer

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
rhettinger
1963 Views, 13 Replies

BIM360 to Autodesk Viewer

I am sharing a model hosted on BIM 360 through the autodesk viewer. My current workflow is to copy the BIM360 model to my local machine and then upload.

Is there a way to upload the BIM360 Model straight to Autodesk Viewer?

rhettinger_0-1651086368602.png

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi @rhettinger ,

No I am afraid not at present. Maybe it could be done with Forge.

Please click the Accept Solution button if my reply answers your question.

Twitter: @TheDarkAsset
LinkedIn: gareth-spencer-84202532

Gareth Spencer
BIM Technical Consultant | Man and Machine (UK)
Message 3 of 14

Honestly I don't even knew about the Autodesk Viewer before seeing you post. I will take a look, it is interesting, thank you.

The BIM360 system has its own system to share Revit models for other teams - Design Collaboration:

evgenykurbatov_0-1651150009916.png

If you don't have it for your project ask the project admin to provide you required rights.

Read more about the tool here.

Probably you just want to copy the model to the shared folder:

evgenykurbatov_1-1651150274156.png

Message 4 of 14

@evgeny.kurbatov ,  You don't need design collaboration to share your Revit models this can be done using Autodesk Docs or BIM 360 Docs. I think @rhettinger is sharing model files so their client can view them as I assume they don't have a license for the Autodesk Construction Cloud.

Gareth Spencer
Message 5 of 14

Hello @gareth.spencer1 ,

@rhettinger mentioned that they host the model on BIM360. This requires a BIM Collaborate Pro license. It automatically includes the BIM360 Docs license. Therefore they have it and can use both methods: Design Collaboration and Copy.

My understanding is that the Autodesk Construction Cloud is just another name for the BIM360 CDE.

Message 6 of 14

Hi @evgeny.kurbatov ,

Sorry I think you are miss understanding the original question here. 

If you are working collaboratively in BIM 360 or Autodesk Construction Cloud you need a BIM Collaborate Pro license but if you just save a standalone Revit model (single user at anyone time). Then you don't need a BIM Collaborate Pro license. It is not possible to copy a file from the either BIM 360 or Autodesk Construction Cloud to the free Autodesk Viewer, which is what the question @rhettinger asked I believe. 

For your information the Autodesk Construction Cloud is the unified platform which included Autodesk Docs, Autodesk Build (including Cost), BIM Collaborate/BIM Collaborate Pro and Takeoff. Which allows users to use their license(s) to access existing BIM 360 projects and solutions. You can no longer purchase of such products as BIM 360 Docs, BIM 360 Design, etc.

I hope this means sense

Gareth Spencer
Message 7 of 14

Probably @rhettinger can clarify how "a model hosted on BIM 360": with Revit "live" cloud model or just by uploading the model to BIM360 Docs?

Message 8 of 14

I was refering to the free autodesk viewer. I am using it to share a project. It is unfortunate that I can't view it on the viewer unless I save it locally. 

Thanks @evgeny.kurbatov for mentioning the other software - I will look into these as well. 

Message 9 of 14
Chad-Smith
in reply to: rhettinger

You can't transfer/copy from BIM 360 to Autodesk Viewer.

My guess is that you are wanting to do this to freely share a viewable document, which can only be done on Autodesk Viewer.

I wish BIM 360 also had the same functionality. There is an Idea for this.

Public link for view model only - Autodesk Community

Message 10 of 14

@rhettinger 

You can share a BIM360 file like this:

evgenykurbatov_0-1651235679914.png

Message 11 of 14
Chad-Smith
in reply to: rhettinger

But the BIM 360 share is only a download link and doesn't provide viewing, unlike Autodesk Viewer that allows free model viewing.

Message 12 of 14

People can see the model with BIM360 viewer. Just some conditions required:

• Be a member of the project
  • Have permissions for the file.

Then the BIM360 model can be shared for viewing and markup:

evgenykurbatov_0-1651241154982.png

Message 13 of 14

Hi @evgeny.kurbatov ,

The question was about transferring the model from BIM 360 to Autodesk Viewer. Yes a member can view the file if they share it and view using BIM 360 but I don't think their client has access or a license. Which means he wants to share the fill through the Autodesk Viewer. So unless the client either purchases a license of Autodesk Construction Cloud Autodesk Docs or is assigned one from a third party they cannot view the model file.

Gareth Spencer
Message 14 of 14

@rhettinger wrote:

I am sharing a model ...

Hi @gareth.spencer1 

I think the main need is to share a model. The Autodesk Viewer doesn't fit well into the process. We just trying to advice other ways of sharing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report