Community
BIM 360 Support
Welcome to Autodesk’s BIM 360 Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular BIM 360
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIM 360 Design: Licensing (Bring your own subscription)

46 REPLIES 46
SOLVED
Message 1 of 47
johan.cantryn
12983 Views, 46 Replies

BIM 360 Design: Licensing (Bring your own subscription)

In the FAQ, one can read:

Collaboration for Revit and BIM 360 Team allows for subscribers from another account to be added to a Project Hub
without utilizing one of the host account’s subscriptions. This is sometimes referred to as Bring Your Own Subscription
(BYOS). Will this be allowed with BIM 360 Design?
Yes. This is allowed for BIM 360 Design.

Now, BIM 360 Design is composed of different modules like Design Collaboration and Document Management (Docs).

I think is is obvious that Design Collaboration falls under the "Bring your own subscription" rule.

But what with the document management component. Will the other user will also brings his license with him.

Example:

Company ABC has 25 license of BIM 360 Design. All licenses are is use by internal staff members.

Company DEF also has 25 license of BIM 360 Design. All licenses are is use by internal staff members.

Company ABC will now invite 5 users of Company DEF into one of their projects.

What is the correct answer?

• Company ABC needs to buy 5 additional BIM 360 Design licenses so that they can invite the 5 users from company DEF.
    (In my opinion this is not correct, because in this case we do not have the "Bring your own subscription license" principle).
  • Company ABC needs to buy 5 additional licenses only for BIM 360 Docs, because for the Design Collaboration part company DEF is bringing their own licenses, but they still need acces to the document management module of comapny ABC and therefore extra licenses are needed for the hub of company ABC.
  • Company ABC nor Company DEF don't need to buy additional licenses. If you invite a user with a BIM 360 entitlement he will bring his Design Collaboration AND Docs license to the hub of company ABC.

46 REPLIES 46
Message 21 of 47
Anonymous
in reply to: brenttY9XRJ

Collaboration for Revit (C4R) is not sold any longer (replaced by BIM360 Design) however, projects started in C4R using BIM360 Team can still be running and using C4R. Your Revit version (or build) matters as C4R with Team will only work with Revit 2018.2 or earlier. BIM360 Design uses BIM360 Docs and requires Revit 2018.3 or newer. When you buy licenses of BIM360 Design now, you can use it either way - C4R with Team or BIM360 Design with Docs. Hope that helps explain things better for you.
Message 22 of 47
KyleB_Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
Collaboration for Revit (C4R) is not sold any longer (replaced by BIM360 Design) however, projects started in C4R using BIM360 Team can still be running and using C4R. Your Revit version (or build) matters as C4R with Team will only work with Revit 2018.2 or earlier. BIM360 Design uses BIM360 Docs and requires Revit 2018.3 or newer. When you buy licenses of BIM360 Design now, you can use it either way - C4R with Team or BIM360 Design with Docs. Hope that helps explain things better for you.

Very close.

• Collaboration for Revit became BIM 360 Design in April of 2018.  All subscribers to C4R had their subscription renamed to BIM 360 Design at that time.
  • With that renaming came the option create a Next Gen BIM 360 Account - specifically the Document Management and Design Collaboration modules - and do Revit Cloud Worksharing with Next Gen BIM 360.
  • Revit 2018-2015 support Revit Cloud Worksharing with BIM 360 Team.  Revit 2018.3 and Revit 2019 support Revit Cloud Worksharing on Next Gen BIM 360.

So if you "never had C4R", that's not a problem.  Subscribing to BIM 360 Design today is provides the same access as what was provided with the C4R Product + Next Gen BIM 360.

Make sense?

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 23 of 47

Got it. All of the talk about C4R kind of muddied the waters for me, as this project started in 2015 with Revit 2016.

So - I'm looking to cloud share or cloud sync in Revit 2019 with subs (also on Revit 2019).

I'll be hosting this on a BIM 360 Design project, but have only bought enough licenses to cover my firms operators (3-off). My limited understanding is that all subs can participate with their own BIM 360 Design Licenses into our project (as per the BYOS). 

Is this correct?

Message 24 of 47

That is correct.

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 25 of 47

Thanks Kyle, you've been a great help.

Message 26 of 47

I have another question about this BYOS concept. 

I have some external consultants that will join my BIM360 environment.

They are now investigating if they have a Design license.

My question is, can I invite them in the meantime. Or do I have to wait for them to join there own contract first...

Greetings, Renzo

Message 27 of 47

@Renzo_van_Rijswijk wrote:

My question is, can I invite them in the meantime. Or do I have to wait for them to join there own contract first...

Greetings, Renzo

If they do not have a BIM 360 Design subscription for themselves, then they would need to consume a Subscription from your account if you invite them.  Once they have their own BIM 360 Design subscription, they could then bring it into your Account.

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 28 of 47

Thanks,

• But lets say I invited them yesterday. The external users are not attached to the contract. In this case, they use my license.
  • Today, they are attached to their own contract. Will they use their own license automatically. Or do I have to delete them from the project and re-invite them?

Greetings, Renzo

Message 29 of 47

@KyleB_Autodesk wrote:

@Renzo_van_Rijswijk wrote:

Greetings, Renzo

If they do not have a BIM 360 Design subscription for themselves, then they would need to consume a Subscription from your account if you invite them.  Once they have their own BIM 360 Design subscription, they could then bring it into your Account.

-Kyle

Is this rule working for all BIM 360 modules?

Tell me, please about steps of bringing.

Dmytro Torianyk/Дмитрий Торяник
CTO, BIM-manager/Технический директор, BIM-менеджер
REVITTOR - BIM 360, Autocad, Revit
Message 30 of 47

Hello,

I do understand that in the meantime they will consume a Design license (say for 1 month).

But what happens if after this month they have their own license.

Will my license go back immediately? Or do I have to unassign and than reassign the user to update the license behaviour???

Greetings, Renzo

Message 31 of 47

To get to grips with the licensing between BIM360 products, I've created a small overview to easily check and determine where the subscription is subtracted whenever parties start working together.

@KyleB_Autodesk: Could you confirm this overview being correct, and if not, what would you edit, add or remove?

Thanks in advance!

bim360_who-loses_subscription2-min.png

Message 32 of 47
Anonymous
in reply to: KyleB_Autodesk

Thanks KyleB for a descriptive response.

Can you also elaborate on the scenario how do we actually cross-check whether a user from Company DEF claiming that they own BIM 360 Design/Docs license, actually owns BIM 360 license or not before adding them to our hosted BIM 360 Project.

After all, it will be a liability of host to make sure all users in their hosted environment carried a valid BIM 360 Docs or Design license. Hope I am correct.

Waiting for a quick response on the same.

Puneet Sachdev.

Message 33 of 47
Anonymous

My question poses the same scenario, but what if Company DEF has NO subscriptions whatsoever?

Message 34 of 47
Anonymous

Is this in writing officially somewhere? 

Message 35 of 47
Anonymous

Hi Kyle 

Is this written down somewhere officially and documented or in a terms and conditions exert somewhere. 

Sorry repeated post

Message 36 of 47
KyleB_Autodesk

Indeed it is.  You can find it here -> https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/bim-360/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/ENU/About-BIM3...

-Kyle

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 37 of 47

Hi,

I need a clarification for following situation.

Building owner wants that all design stakeholders will work together on his hub using BIM 360 Design.

Building owner will not design himself and wants only to use the Docs functionality.

Actual Situation:

Building owner: 10 lic. BIM 360 Docs, all in use by building owner staff

Architect:            10 lic. BIM 360 Design, all in use by architect's staff

Engineer:            10 lic. BIM 360 Design, all in use by engineer's staff

Question:

To make use of the "Bring your own subscription" advantage, what does the building owner needs to buy so that
BIM 360 Design from architect and engineer can be used on building owner's hub.

Possible scenario's:

-Building owner just has to buy 1 BIM 360 Design license. One Design license within the building owner's hub is enough to invite multiple external Design users who can all make advantage of the "Bring your own subscription".

-For each external BIM 360 Design user the building owner will invite in his hub, he needs to buy a BIM 360 license to make advantage of the "Bring your own subscription" entitlement.

Which scenario is the correct one?

Message 38 of 47
Anonymous
in reply to: johan.cantryn

Hi,

I am planning to introduce the BIM 360 platform in my company. We usually work with different companies and I would like to resolve a doubt about the licensing to manage the projects in our host server.

This is my particular scenario:

Company A has 1 license of BIM 360 Design and 5 licenses of BIM 360 Docs. All licenses are in use by internal staff members.
Company B has 25 licenses of BIM 360 Design. All licenses are in use by internal staff members.

Company A will now invite 20 users of Company B into one of their projects.

Would this sentence be correct?

Company A nor Company B don't need to buy additional licenses. If you invite a user with a BIM 360 entitlement he will bring his Design Collaboration AND Docs license to the hub of company A.

Message 39 of 47
johan.cantryn

In the past, I have already asked Autodesk this question and then received confirmation that 1 BIM 360 Design is sufficient to invite several other people who have also assigned a BIM 360 license. So your scenario should be fine. Company A with 1 BIM 360 Design License can invite 20 BIM 360 Design users from company B without problems and without buying additional seats.
If somebody from Autodesk is reading this message, please correct me if I received the wrong information.

Message 40 of 47
Anonymous

Here is my understanding - I hope it helps.

If someone is invited to a project that has their own DESIGN license, they use their license in your project.  This is due to the bring-your-own-license philosophy that DESIGN falls under.

DOCS is different than the rest of the BIM 360 licenses (Design, Build, Coordinate, etc.).  DOCS is not a license that get assigned to a specific user like the other license types do; it is a license that gets consumed by a user when invited to a project when that invited user does not have their own BIM 360 (Design, Build, etc) license to bring.  So the DOCS licenses need to be purchased and provided by the project host company.  Also, it is important to note that if a person has been invited to a project and is consuming a DOCS licenses from that project, OR has their own DOCS license from within in their company, it can not be used in other projects.  DOCS licenses are specific to one project or one company's projects if we are talking about your own company's projects.

Check this out - http://help.autodesk.com/view/BIM360D/ENU/?guid=About_BIM360_about_bim_360_design_bring_your_own_sub... – specifically Scenario 2B and 3B. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report