Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share a Link

Share a Link

There is a "share" button for docs right now and you are able to send a note to certain people. I'd love to be able to "share a link" and copy and paste a link to that folder/document into an email. This way I can share it with attachements. Or, even be able to attach other documents to the note that I'm sending out. ie. refreshers/training on how to use BIM360/document issues and such.

Thank you

6 Comments
joan_allen
Community Manager
Status changed to: Accepted

Unknown_Account59
Collaborator

There is a workaround for this that we are using, but it relies on you only needing to send files to members that have active accounts for the project, not a public link. 

• Open up the folder, or a specific file, that you want to distribute,
  • Select and copy the link for that page from the URL bar. 
  • Copy and paste this into your email. 
  • Send. 

The recipients of the email will now be able to click the link in the email, and they will be taken directly to the folder or file, but like I say they will need an active account for the project in order to be able to do this. 

Jim_Melin
Advocate

I don't see that this feature is implemented in BIM360 yet?

The workaround is presently being used, but the result is both excessively long and cryptic.

Would it be possible to have prettier links that looked more like file paths, or atleast shorter like YouTube uses for share links?

I could imagine too a copy-path variant i some kind of forum code where you see a shorter name when pasting into mails or Microsoft Teams. Would that be possible?

Theres a new suggestion about less cryptic links too:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-ideas/function-to-create-good-looking-folder-and-file-links/i...

It could user some upvoting, please thank you.

penny_yu
Autodesk

We are working on an overall enhancement to the share experience. We plan to add it in a future update.

Thank you,

Penny Yu

BIM 360

penny_yu
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi everyone:

Thank you for your attention to this functionality. This function has been launched this week. Now you can share folders or document from Project Files folder for non-project members to download! 

To enable it, please ask your admin to turn it on from the "advanced setting".

Please don't hesitate to let us know your feedback here in the forum or through this survey: Publiclink survey 

Help documents

https://help.autodesk.com/view/BIM360D/ENU/?guid=GUID-EB7E6ED7-0787-4B9D-80E3-6BDF3F3A8812#share-doc...

More information about this release:

https://blogs.autodesk.com/bim360-release-notes/2020/03/25/bim-360-docs-march-2020-release-notes/

I hope you like it. Thank you very much! 

Penny Yu

BIM 360

penny_yu
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report