Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit families (rfa) viewable in BIM360 DOCS

Revit families (rfa) viewable in BIM360 DOCS

It would be very useful to be able to see Revit families (rfa)  in BIM360 DOCS 

15 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

If an organisation wants to manage their family library in BIM 360, This function is essential.

Please add this function to BIM 360.

joan_allen
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

dc
Advocate
Advocate

I agree that BIM 360 needs a way to manage families. We use Dropbox right now to give our designers and drafters access to our library of families.

CharlesBerteaux
Advisor

we also need the ability to drag and drop into revit or someway to directly import from BIM360

mac_EH
Enthusiast

yes, this would be a very useful feature, as I am using it as my BIM repository. 

ArthurDuguay
Enthusiast

Bim 360 or even something integrated to Revit directly that are always available as per google sketchup component. Those are always available online, just a simple research through the company library. We could have the possibility to view the version and edit to update those family as well (depending of permission).

MichaelWolff
Advisor

While the web front end of B360docs does not offer any family preview, the windows explorer at least shows the preview image. Of course this does not help you when you're browsing with a phone or tablet.

Btw, this topic's status was changed to 'future consideration' two years ago.

davidhYYC4L
Participant

Any chance this has been integrated in the 3 years since moved to future consideration. IMO this is a gaping hole in this cloud platform. We can host 90% of your data on our platform... just not the stuff you use a hundred times a day. 

ArthurDuguay
Enthusiast

@davidhYYC4L , It has. See Revit 2022.

Regards,

davidhYYC4L
Participant

@ArthurDuguay, Thanks for the reply. I haven't had a chance to work in 2022 that much as yet. I was excited to get in this morning and check out the options, but I cannot find anything new in that space. What am I missing?

I know that I can put my family library in to Autodesk Docs and access it through the desktop connector (and that is my mid term solution) but that is not ideal. The Load Autodesk family function (introduced in 2021) was a step in the right direction. Big BUT, I cannot use my in house families (unless there is something I am missing in 2022 that solves that). Ideally I could add my library (hosted on BIM360 or ACC) to the Load Autodesk family dialog box.  

zapatero.alfonso
Enthusiast

Whoah the original post is June 7, 2018 and still the status is 'Future Consideration'???? Autodesk should understand that Revit Family (RFA) is essential to Revit operation. Only this  2 file types (.rfa, .rft) forget other types. Update BIM 360 and ACC platforms immediately and DO NOT wait for another 3 years!!!!

MichaelWolff
Advisor

@joan_allen So this has been 'under consideration' for over a year now. What is the verdict?

zapatero.alfonso
Enthusiast

Checked in again today, if the status changed and has some development. Sadly, it is still the same (Future Consideration), this been raised since 2018 and still no actions. So frustrating!!

You already did this Library preview in FormIT....

zapateroalfonso_0-1660196598387.png

and why cannot be done in Revit software or BIM360 or ACC?????

NickScalone
Enthusiast

Very disappointed this is not being developed further. I have so many clients that want to bring their content library to the cloud, but they don't see the value as there is no viewer for RFA's.

I even have Owner clients who want their typical furniture families stored in BIM 360 to use for their room data specs using Forge, but they can't.

A_kontopoulos
Observer

Disappointing not seeing this further developed!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report