Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Checklists to Assets

Link Checklists to Assets

Aside from being able to link templates to Assets, functionality on the older Field Classic platform allowed for checklists created from various templates to also be linked to equipment after having been created. It appears this can be done through Assets in Field Management but it would also be beneficial to have the ability to navigate to Checklists, select as many as required and link to the relevant asset. 

5 Comments
krystian.macek
Community Manager
Status changed to: Implemented

Hi Jarred, 

Ability to link checklist templates to assets is available through Assets Administration, where admins can link checklist templates to asset categories.  Once a checklist is filled out, it can also be linked to any asset.

Please take a look at these release notes:
https://blogs.autodesk.com/bim360-release-notes/2020/06/16/introducing-the-assets-module-to-bim-360/

Regards,

Krystian

JarredJackson
Contributor

@krystian.macek Thanks for your reply. Maybe I needed to be clearer in what I was describing as I am not referring to templates but the actual checklists themselves that have been created from a template. What I am saying is that in Field Classic, users had the ability to go to the Checklists tab, select (multiple if necessary) and then link to equipment. I understand that in Field Management you are able to navigate to Assets, then link checklists by opening an asset and adding references, but what I am describing is this process in reverse. Users should have the ability to go to Checklists, select as many already created checklists as needed and then link them to assets. The current functionality requires each asset to be opened one at a time which is neither efficient, nor user friendly.

BIM 360 is a great platform and has been used extensively for project delivery in our business for the past 5 years but I have always felt that Autodesk has misunderstood our proven workflow whenever we have given feedback. We understand Autodesk's intended use is to have templates linked to assets for creating in the field whenever a new checklist is needed and that is perfectly acceptable for some projects, however, in our business we already know up front what our QA is going to look like. We have X number of assets that need Y number of checklists, so we create all our checklists at the beginning of a project with unique titles such that when the construction and commissioning teams get to site, they don't have worry about which checklists they need to create. It is all there waiting for them and they know by the title what it is they are filling out, what phase of the project it is for (e.g. construction verification or commissioning) and what asset it relates to. This also has the added benefit that we can track our QA progress based on the status of each checklist. If we had 1000 checklists for the project and 100 have been closed, we know we're 10% complete. We cannot do that if checklists are only created at the time the user starts filling them out as we will never know the total number of checklists until the project is complete.

Hopefully this gives you a bit of an idea as to where some of your customers are coming from and how the BIM 360 platform is being utilised to meet various requirements.

krystian.macek
Community Manager

Thank you for providing additional details @JarredJackson .  Today, we have a 3 options:
1. It is possible to start the association of assets to checklists from the checklist workflow.  Users would need to go to Field management, open an already started checklist, and click add an asset reference.  This process is not as optimized as BIM 360 Field as users need to open 1 checklist at a time and then link it to one or more assets.
2. From the assets workflow, users can open a single asset and are able to search for checklists by name, further selecting one or more checklists to make the association.

3. Associate checklist templates with asset categories

Can you clarify, which what additional improvements you would like to see in above workflows?

Regads,

Krystian

ksaifeeSYHQV
Contributor

Can we export the Asset & linked checklist reports? Also, currently, the linked assets are not reported on the checklist. Is there a workaround? The reports only show linked documents not assets. 

Thanks & regards, 

Kausar Saifee

A687KQJDNYVS
Participant

I agree that when exporting out the checklist as a PDF the asset reference does not show up. As most of the time these checklists will be sent externally and if there is not reference to the asset it is pointless. the only work around I see is creating a line item in the checklist  and inputting the information. This option is not not viable as it should be an automated process. I don't see why BIM 360 Field Management doesn't have the same functionally as BIM 360 Field. You can do so much more in BIM 360 Field. IN this case we will have to revert back to BIM 360 Field and Field Management is no where never never were it should be. In my view Autodesk have released Assets to early and their are to many bugs with the platform.

When will there be new updates released for Assets as it is not fit for purpose in my view.

@krystian.macek @ksaifeeSYHQV @JarredJackson 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report