Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit or add attributes to the naming standard (ISO 19650)

Edit or add attributes to the naming standard (ISO 19650)

When the naming standard is applied it is not possible to edit or add attributes once set up but this has caused problems later during the project. 

It is not always know who is working on the project at the start so therefore adding all the attributes is difficult. I have not come across a problem I need to add more originators to my project under the originators and I cannot which means I users will not be able to assign the files correctly. 

Edit or Add Attributes 

I would like the ability to edit or add attributes after the naming standard has been applied. We cannot do so at present.

i.e. add extra, remove or edit codes under the originator, volume/system, level/location, type, role. 

12 Comments
allan.stableford
Advocate

Didn't know this was the case as not had to do this yet. Thanks for highlighting.

But 100% agree if true, that attributes need to be editable (or at the very least, adding to) after it has been applied. 

RobertAGlover
Advocate

Have you looked at https://interoperability.autodesk.com/? They have a Classification Manager tools for bulk adding parameters like OmniClass, but you can add your own custom parameter such as "ISO19650 Name:" Its a fairly versatile tool once you get it setup. I hope this helps. 

gareth.spencer1
Collaborator

Hi @RobertAGlover , 

The interoperability tools are great and good set of tools but unfortunately adding custom parameters to the Revit model will not help. It is actually the naming standard functionality inside BIM 360 Docs and Autodesk Docs that needs to be editable for all files (documents, drawings, models, etc).

Cheers

RobertAGlover
Advocate

Ah! I apologize. I misunderstood the ask. That makes a lot of sense. I am working with the National BIM Standards for US (NBIMS-US) and I know there has been a bunch of discussion about aligning to ISO19650 into the standards. It's not my particular area of focus though. Having Autodesk already moving the same direction would be very helpful. 

Chad-Smith
Advisor

This is a massive blocker to adoption for the reason stated by the OP.

Particularly as you move from design to construction, and you need to bring on subcontractors, you don't know who they are back at the start of design.

The current implementation of Naming Standards is far too strict. Some leniency needs to be built it to update the standard as the project progresses. I wonder how many projects have had to disable the standard part way through and not being able to reinstate it with the changes?

allan.stableford
Advocate

Very disappointing to see that this wasn't implemented in todays Bim360 update. They have even been in this area implementing the export/import function (useful yes), but completely overlooked this requirement. Unbelievable.

BarrieSharp
Contributor

This is really important I think. We often start work without knowing full requirements. Several attributes will be added to:

• Volumes
  • Levels
  • Originators

It makes sense you can't edit existing codes that are already applied to files (Though the description could be changed). Editing or removing attributes that haven't been used seems perfectly reasonable.

Applying the standard to folders with files inside should be allowed. It would be reasonable to force a review of any non compliant files but if they already comply then there should not be an objection. I face an issue that if I want to add enforcement to a root folder I can't, even if the only files are already compliant in subfolders.

I have to change the naming for many projects and the only way is to move files out, apply the changes and move all of the files back to the original location. This can be complex, time consuming and error prone.

gareth.spencer1
Collaborator

Hi All @BarrieSharp @allan.stableford @Chad-Smith @RobertAGlover and anyone else who reads this.

You can actually edit the attributes in the application. I have been made aware of this is by Autodesk very recently.

In the Autodesk Docs window select the Settings > Attributes icon top right of the window. (As shown below)

ADSK Docs-Settings.png

To edit the Naming Standards attributes once applied you will need to select the three dots at the end of the attributes you require to edit. Then select Edit.

ADSK Docs-Attributes Edit.png

As you can see in the below image it allows you to edit the attributes or add a new value.

ADSK Docs-Attributes Edit Add Value.png

So the only thing left is to allow the editing of the naming standard if required to do so.

allan.stableford
Advocate

Thanks @gareth.spencer1.

Yes just tried it in B360 Docs too and same principle applies there. Seems you can't edit one that has been used/enforced, which is to be expected.  But at least you can add additional values to Originators etc which was my main request.

Why were they so quiet about this in the B360 update though!

Cheers for letting us know.

Chad-Smith
Advisor

@gareth.spencer1  Oh wow, thanks for that info.

In this respect, the UI certainly needs some work to make this more clear. The fact that you can change it in one place, but not the other (the more logical place under Naming) is confusing.

Regardless, I am glad I can now adopt the feature.

BarrieSharp
Contributor

@gareth.spencer1 That's really useful to know! Definitely one for Steve Stafford's dept. of subtle. We should absolutely be able to manage this from the naming convention.

We can't remove unused values unfortunately which is a pain given we can't template the conventions. We need to make sure we start out with bare minimum knowing we can now add.

We still need to be able to apply the standard to root folders when subfolders already enforce the standards.

There is a limit of 400 entries on the tables. This needs to be increased so we may have more than 400 originators. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report